Reverting to the old DEFCON system - Denied

Garlic

What are you suggesting? - Reverting back to the old DEFCON system

How would this change better the server? - My opinion is rather negative on the new DEFCON system. Granted, the immediate positive trade off is that it gives a more informative description of the situation but that can always be done through chat. However, when analyzing the negative side, I believe that it brings confusion towards new players. Forcing them to remember the code on the server may seem like a hassle and possibly even discourage them from playing the server.

Are there any disadvantages of making this change to the server? If so, explain. - The disadvantages are subjective but the only negatives in discarding the new DEFCON system is that it sacrifices the description on why we are in this DEFCON. But again, that can always be stated in chat.

Who would this change mostly benefit? - Everyone

Please link any workshop content, screenshots, or anything that you think may be helpful to those who view this suggestion - N/A

I'm Just a Big Tom and Jerry Fan. 

tenor--1-.gif.701eb66430b7956f5cac65c4ce677b06.gif

+/- I'd say add both, have defcons correspond with the protocals that are called with the I-pad thing.

I find the new system very confusing, but I think if we add both or add the defcon system above/ontop of the new system it could in my opinion help.

Retired DHOS || Former Wardens Comissioner Caligula || Former SRIC in R&D || Former OH8 Funni [Redacted] Man | | Retired OPSV in Maintenance || Former MMF Duck || Former HLPR Bot AC3 || Retired 2LT in E-11 || Former Head Field Scout || Former Ranger Pax || former ET || Former Omicron-9 CPT  || Former OM9 EXP Delta PoliceRP: PD LCPL | SCU LT

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. " -John F Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

921397099_FloppaGif.gif.0ca3f427de08905a1e4630bb46685aef.gif

-support 

I am not going to lie I dont understand the new defcon, but it is not strange since they introduced it recently.

I think it need some time. 

Former CI CPT|  Guts Mexican                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

“I will protect those who cannot protect themselves. ”

—Second Ideal of the Windrunners

11 minutes ago, MexicanGuy said:

-support 

I am not going to lie I dont understand the new defcon, but it is not strange since they introduced it recently.

I think it need some time. 

I get where you are coming from and I understand that for those who chooses to dedicate themselves to the sever will have no problem understanding the new DEFCON system. However, in my argument, I said that this DEFCON system is not new player friendly and that making them memorize the code may discourage them from playing the server as when comparing them to the old DEFCOn system, it is a universally well-known system used even by the US military (I think).

I'm Just a Big Tom and Jerry Fan. 

tenor--1-.gif.701eb66430b7956f5cac65c4ce677b06.gif

- Support
The same argument can go towards the old defcon system too. It still had to be remembered. This one is not really that different. The regular things we see now is Code Blue/Yellow/Orange/Black/Red and they are pretty simple to remember.

Joined 09/30/2020
Retired 11/12/2022
Former Security SFC || Former MTF Omi9 MSGT || Former CI CPT/MAJ || Former Nu7 LTCOL/VCMDR || Former E11 CPL || Former Maintenance Professional || Former D5 CPT || Former Senior Medic || Former Advanced Researcher |

spacer.png

+ Support

Numbers are way more intuitive and easier for new players to remember and follow. I get that the new system adds more depth, but it feels unnecessary. At the very least instead of that proud gaminglight symbol next to the code add the number that goes along with it..

• Retired MTF Nu7 Commander (Lars) / HSU General (Majestic)
  • Retired MTF E11 CPT | SFTO | SCE | SMS | SNM (Lars) / D4 Vanguard (Hypnos)
  • Retired Medical Supervisor | HFW | SFTO | ACM | O5 Logistics | RRH Engineer (Lars/Otter)
  • Retired Maintenace OS | SCS | SFTO - (Lars/Otter)
  •  
  • Former Gensec MSGT (Lars)
  • Former CI SM | Hotshot | Longshot | Sawbones (Dan)

+Support

-This Defcon so far has caused more problems then benefits, sometimes the Defcon will appear as missing textures, sometimes it will just just dissapear and you have to re-join the server, there is even a condition we are not allowed to use because it auto activates a nuke, that's exactly why we should bring back the old Defcons, at least, we never had any problem with the old Defcon system and it doesn't activate a nuke if you change to a certain Defcon

Current: Nu-7 VCMDR

Former: E-11 VCMDR/LT-COL totally didn't get demoted || Event Team Member || CI SFTO 2LT

CCs: Snoop Dog Owner || Previous Rho-36 Occult Operative || Used to be Reznov || CI TF2 Heavy || MTF Zeta-0 'Caste Gates' || Tango-12 'Forgiving Hand'

French Canadian man || Mbappé fan in the making

45 minutes ago, Rito said:

+Support

-This Defcon so far has caused more problems then benefits, sometimes the Defcon will appear as missing textures, sometimes it will just just dissapear and you have to re-join the server, there is even a condition we are not allowed to use because it auto activates a nuke, that's exactly why we should bring back the old Defcons, at least, we never had any problem with the old Defcon system and it doesn't activate a nuke if you change to a certain Defcon

WHAT IS CONDITION GREEN I SEE IT ALL THE TIME those types of issues with it

51 minutes ago, Rito said:

+Support

True

[SCP-RP] Retired E-11 COL, HFTO and D4 Head  Former CI MSGT/2LT | Former Alpha-1 "Red-Right Hand" Guardian Delta-9 | Former Nu7 2LT/SM HSU Conscript Former Om-9 2LT and EXP Seasoned

21 hours ago, Garlic said:

I get where you are coming from and I understand that for those who chooses to dedicate themselves to the sever will have no problem understanding the new DEFCON system. However, in my argument, I said that this DEFCON system is not new player friendly and that making them memorize the code may discourage them from playing the server as when comparing them to the old DEFCOn system, it is a universally well-known system used even by the US military (I think).

Especially if people minge around with codes we don't use. That'll increase confusion. Although I agree with Yato, saying that even the old system needs memorizing. I can understand your argument of it being a deter to newer players, but speaking frankly I believe having to sit through trainings, reading SOPs, and taking tests is the biggest deter IMO. If they already have to learn all the rules for their branch, why not the condition colors? Also most of the time they learn that as they go. That's what command and NCOs are there for. To help lead the newer enlisted towards the right direction. They're mostly focused on making sure they are doing the job right than making sure they know what a code black is vs red. If you have a higher up updating you on the situation, you'll eventually catch on to what each color means without having to sit down and study the colors.

-Support.

Edited by [GL] Fizz-y Soda
  • Like 1

CI CMDR / CA

lolrip_2_75.png.dc1d08f4d907c816d920de2b5132ac58.png

1 hour ago, Rito said:

+Support

𝐒𝐂𝐏𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 - 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐨𝐬 𝐋𝐭. 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫
𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ₋ 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥

3 hours ago, Rito said:

+Support

++++Support 

WTF IS CODE ORANGE & BLACK WHY IS IT A RAINBOW SPECTRUM 

SCP-RP - Former: Moderator/ETSecurity SFTO SM, Research Researcher, MTF Alpha-1 Sgt, MTF Alpha-1 "Alpha-6", Noob-7 CplD5 RCT, R&D SIN, T-2 Blackjack, HFR, DHBI and E-11 DoFTO HCE SM | Current: CI Military DHLS SFTO SM 

Imperial-RP - Former - ModeratorRoyal Guard Senior Guard, Shadow Guard Lead, Stormtrooper 2LT, 501st MSG

5 hours ago, Rito said:

+Support

Foundation Archivist | Operations Supervisor | SCP-RP Senior Admin Forums Diplomat | Support 1 |

On 1/25/2021 at 12:32 PM, [GL] loudyfam (Jack S) said:

+/- I'd say add both, have defcons correspond with the protocals that are called with the I-pad thing.

I find the new system very confusing, but I think if we add both or add the defcon system above/ontop of the new system it could in my opinion help.

I agree with this, it would be nice to combine the 2 systems.

| SEC Armored Shield 1LT Wardens WC DHFTO | SVFTO Elite Medic |  SVFTO Maintenance Expert | Xray 42 | E11 CPL | Nu7 CPL | D5 PVT

-Support

It's much less of headache to find out more about the situation for everyone and as especially, as a E-11 main, this defcon system helps a lot.
The system is extremely easy to learn. If you sit down and want to learn it, you will.

It also makes a lot more sense in RP as DEFCONs are used for the IRL Military and have entirely different meanings.

Current:           Retired
Ex:                    CI PD || CI RnD SR BIO IOI || SCP-RP Event Team || E11 Major || Administrator

Huge +Support from the Old Gaurd of research 

Command members should not have to worry about detonating the nuke by accident just because of a faulty code or Error within the software of the addon i agree with restoring the old defcon system as it is easy to remember and brings back memory's of the olden days of the server the old defcon system was easy to remember and easy to manage as command and you couldnt simply type /defcon 1 and cause a nuke to explode on site that was restricted to the site director only so please restore the old defcon system so we dont have to hear "Omega Warhead emergency Detonation engaged" when its not actually defcon 1 

• Like 1

Former Sargent Negev Line monika
RFA,HMR,RIG, Longest lasting LR
CI RND 
Field Researcher,

On 1/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, Rito said:

+Support

My main problem is half the time for me the Defcon system is a missing texture or just vanished on my screen

[ SCP RP ] Director of Research & Security || Armored Shield Award Winner || First Head Warden & HOPO || Security Artillery Unit || D-7025 || D-Class High Council || Former Head of Security || Former Admin || Former Event Team Member

spacer.png

On 1/26/2021 at 6:38 AM, Rito said:

+Support

-This Defcon so far has caused more problems then benefits, sometimes the Defcon will appear as missing textures, sometimes it will just just disappear and you have to re-join the server, there is even a condition we are not allowed to use because it auto activates a nuke, that's exactly why we should bring back the old Defcons, at least, we never had any problem with the old Defcon system and it doesn't activate a nuke if you change to a certain Defcon

Retired LCZ Manager Pingas

+Support

Preach, the new defcon system has caused lots of issues.

𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘮𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘥, 𝘧𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘥! 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘥! 𝘈-𝘉 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘧𝘴 you farted!i

f i get banned who cares i've had my fun 

49 total warns 🤑

+Support

I think these new changes are cool and all, but in the long run the old Defcon system worked better for everyone.

Gensec LTCOL | Deputy Head Warden S.T.A.R.S. Michael Jones Enthusiast

do you are have stupid?                                   goodjob.PNG.9c25ffc1a65cd99790254177add16546.PNG

- Support 

- I'm certain the old Defcon System took some getting used to to some people too. Just need to get used to it. Give it some time, try to set it more often and I think we can adjust to it just fine.

- While, yes. It is more complicated. Most of Command are young adults and smart teenagers, you guys can figure it out.

- Adds a more unique system to the sense of danger in the facility. With the custom codes too, if people use the off-color ones more often for events and such. 

With Best Regards,
CI R&D Deputy Director Of Operations

|| - Retired SCP-RP Event Team Leader || Retired SCP-RP Admin || -Retired CI R&D Head of Research||

+Support

This new DEFCON system still confuses people. There is a lot more to it then the simple DEFCON system we had back then. In terms of players that are new to the server, they will have trouble understanding the DEFCON procedures since its just colors, no simple countdown from 5 to 1. You don't even realize how frequently Researchers wander out of bunks when there not suppose to and I get the same answer every time. "I don't know what DEFCON this is". "I don't know what Code BLACK means".

SCP-RP - Former Assistant Head of Research | Former OMI-9 2LT | Former GenSec 2LT

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

+Support (For Now)

I think that the only real problem with the new system is the fact its quite buggy. If the major issue (the codes vanishing when you type) is fixed, I think that it would be fine to keep. It's definitely a bit confusing to newer and old players alike, but I think that we'd get use to it. 

fUbePnj.png

Former SCP:RP Event Team Leader (5/15/19 - 12/31/19)

Current SCP:RP Head Administrator

"I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon"

The bugs where the code completely disappears, or stays a weird color, should be fixed. If you get any weird colors or it vanishing, it will almost always immediately fix itself. I would like to stay with this system for longer, because it is still new and people still might be not a little confused. It's not that hard to learn codes, even for new players. It's all listed in the motd. 

big cat running GIF