General Suggestion - Discord Verification - Accepted [Completed]

CinaedeInvictus

What are you suggesting? - I am suggesting that people who are new to the discord server only have the role "Unverified" and the only access they would have is a channel called #Verification. There are many ways to verify discord users, which are up to the discord staff but the one I'm suggesting is that there should be a format for verifying, something like posting your discord tag, your in-game name and a link to your steam profile. I'm only suggesting this because of the recent attacks on our discord server where someone used two or three alt accounts to post a video that gave everyone who was currently viewing the #memes channel a virus. I have tons of witnesses (mostly E11) that can verify that the video did give them a trojan virus. Because this guy used an alt account we know that IP banning him won't work, since he obviously uses a VPN. So to prevent this or similar attacks from ever happening again there should be a verification process. You could say just enable the server to anyone who verifies their email/phone number, but it's very easy to create a throw-away email and it is also very easy to find a free phone number you can use to sign up for things. And obviously if the steam account they link to the verification channel is brand new you would know that they are most likely malicious. 

How would this change better the server? - It would prevent malicious people from entering the server and attacking various users, if I hadn't warned people about the virus hidden within the video earlier I'm afraid that some people might've lost some valuable things.

Are there any disadvantages of making this change to the server? If so, explain. - Not really? I mean some people MIGHT complain but it's for the better of the server.

Who would this change mostly benefit? -  Everyone that's in the discord that values their privacy, information, computer, and accounts.

Gonna ask a forum dip to move this to the discord section of the forums as this is for discord. But on the other side of this

I agree and I used this bot in the past and it works well

https://altdentifier.com/

they have to add a account to the system which allows us to see who’s account and if they don’t do it, it kicks them

Head Admin SCP-RP || Event Team Overseer || Ethics Committee || Ex Security FTO 1LT || Ex Security Warden || Ex CI R&D Senior Agent || UMC Guest [LVL 0] || Former Research Researcher || Former DORSU || Former DOC || Former LCZ Manager ||  I aM sPeCiAl || 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, pixalgamer99 said:

+support earlier we had 2 accounts most likely ran by the same person post a meme that gave you a virus for just being in the channel 

Are you talking about the exploit that went around on discord for a little while where people could post gifs that crashed your discord?? If so that has been patched.

I'm +/- Support

I've never seen us get raided before on discord so I don't really see the use for this, besides that fact that when you get banned from a server discord already IP bans you from it so you can't make an alt account to join back, and if someone says they can use a VPN discord has AntiVPN features (you can check on their devlog a while back for more information on how it works if you want) but, simply put trying to make a alt account for a server you got banned from is not worth the time and it takes some know how.

Edited by Cloaker

local teenage father :3

Retired: ci ddop cloaker s1mp

Ex Senior Moderator

Ex Event Team

37 minutes ago, pixalgamer99 said:

Well IDK what happened but someone was posting shit and windows anti virus or whatever it was called was popping up 

All it does is tell your antivirus that an unsafe download had happen. It doesn’t give you a virus or anything. 

Yuh ?imm@ Thash Dat B¡tch?❤️!!*^€{

On 2/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Skela said:

All it does is tell your antivirus that an unsafe download had happen. It doesn’t give you a virus or anything. 

THIS happened to me, even though it doesn't do anything, the person who gets this will not always now that it is harmless

Former Head of Janitorial | HCZ man geerlvl 70 life wizard | Roblox Clothing Designer 

• 2 years later...