Better training for staff members.

hotwheels

One of the biggest things that keeps me away from the gmod servers is how so many of the staff members just have no clue what they're doing. Lacking knowledge of basic ULX commands, demanding video proof for things easily confirmed in logs, jailing the whole server trying to jail one guy, constantly noclipping around and picking people up for no reason etc. You guys really need to step up your training for staff members.

• Like 2

Or, counter argument here, report staff that do that with evidence so they can be dealt with and most likely removed from the staff team. Logs don't always log something if that makes sense ( Examples being kills not popping up sometimes ), Noclipping around is the point of them depending on the server, the picking up and jailing the server bit is not and could be considered abuse if its 100% without reason (The picking up, not the jailing), trainings fine, but better training isn't going to stop someone from abusing, reporting them with evidence does. 

A decent chunk of what you learn as a staff member typically comes from first-hand experience while handling situations.
All humans make mistakes, all of us here are human, and we all make mistakes from time to time.
None of us are perfect, and we generally learn stuff from our seniors at the time when watching them handle the more-difficult situations.

Most of the staff training explains basic situation handling and general rules and expectations. We cannot go over everything that you'll ever encounter as a staff member, so we go over the basics and allow for staff to make their own judgement based off of those general expectations that are given during the training.

Along with that, if you ever catch a staff member abusing their powers, which in this circumstance, would be the point where you mentioned them randomly picking people up. You may always report them on the forums with of course the evidence that is needed. If found sufficient, the staff member will be punished for abuse and the sorts.

Despite me having former experience as a Senior Administrator on a different DarkRP server, a decent chunk of the staffing guidelines and regulations were different here as they mostly are with different communities. It takes a bit to get the hang of everything. However, a decent amount of the experience I had gained there  assisted me in my staff duties on the server here. Overall though, a lot of people here are rookies to staffing, and a larger chunk has experience elsewhere. Different staffing guidelines and expectations greatly affect situations like this, as some staff members may have used different logging systems, or other addons in terms of how the server works especially on the staff-side of things.

Finally, if you have any particular suggestions you'd like to make that you think may help with the points you've listed in this post, I'd highly recommend posting them under the Suggestions section of the forums. Feedback from the community is always listened to, and a decent portion of what the servers are now came from community-made suggestions.

Edited by Starstep
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Starstep said:

A decent chunk of what you learn as a staff member typically comes from first-hand experience while handling situations.
All humans make mistakes, all of us here are human, and we all make mistakes from time to time.
None of us are perfect, and we generally learn stuff from our seniors at the time when watching them handle the more-difficult situations.

Most of the staff training explains basic situation handling and general rules and expectations. We cannot go over everything that you'll ever encounter as a staff member, so we go over the basics and allow for staff to make their own judgement based off of those general expectations that are given during the training.

Along with that, if you ever catch a staff member abusing their powers, which in this circumstance, would be the point where you mentioned them randomly picking people up. You may always report them on the forums with of course the evidence that is needed. If found sufficient, the staff member will be punished for abuse and the sorts.

Despite me having former experience as a Senior Administrator on a different DarkRP server, a decent chunk of the staffing guidelines and regulations were different here as they mostly are with different communities. It takes a bit to get the hang of everything. However, a decent amount of the experience I had gained there  assisted me in my staff duties on the server here. Overall though, a lot of people here are rookies to staffing, and a larger chunk has experience elsewhere. Different staffing guidelines and expectations greatly affect situations like this, as some staff members may have used different logging systems, or other addons in terms of how the server works especially on the staff-side of things.

Finally, if you have any particular suggestions you'd like to make that you think may help with the points you've listed in this post, I'd highly recommend posting them under the Suggestions section of the forums. Feedback from the community is always listened to, and a decent portion of what the servers are now came from community-made suggestions.

PD Low Command (MAJ) | State Command (LT) | SCU MSGT | Armed Diver CC | Rockford County Deputy CC$400 Donator 

UMC LVL 1 | FBI SA PoliceRP Moderator

On 7/31/2021 at 3:54 AM, Starstep said:

I agree with Starstep here. In staff trainings we go over all of the basics and everything you need to know, but most of the training comes from experience. Everyone makes a mistake at some point but you learn from it and its punishment. Typically if you are being brought to a sit it is for something you did wrong, it doesn't mean that the staff member doesn't know what they are doing.

Edited by Mag1c

State Command | SPRT Commander | PoliceRP Super Admin SS Agent | FBI Agent | Umbrella Corp Member

The clip/screenshot thing is ridiculous and frustrating. You can't report anything to staff sometimes, or even in any branch, without being asked for a clip or a screenshot. I mean yeah, ideally you should have some evidence to back up a claim, but does that mean it can't be investigated or you won't even speak to the other party?

On 8/3/2021 at 11:31 AM, Kvist said:

The clip/screenshot thing is ridiculous and frustrating. You can't report anything to staff sometimes, or even in any branch, without being asked for a clip or a screenshot. I mean yeah, ideally you should have some evidence to back up a claim, but does that mean it can't be investigated or you won't even speak to the other party?

Yeah I agree, but at the end of the day if you have evidence it makes the staffs job easier.

Crow

Former: Havoc Vice Commander | Eighth Brother | Purge HVYTO COL | ST SCTL CPT | IC SSE SGT | SubLT
200.gif

On 8/5/2021 at 12:30 AM, Crowww said:

Yeah I agree, but at the end of the day if you have evidence it makes the staffs job easier.

Imperial RP 

Staff: EX. Senior Admin, Forums Diplomat, September 2021 Staff of the Month

RP: First Commander Second Sister, Ex Ninth Sister, Eighth Brother, and SF SL 

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 2:31 PM, Kvist said:

Clips make it easier to prove exactly what happened with a situation. If an OFC RDMs a D-class while screaming “I hate you” or accidentally crossfires him, combat logs are going to show the same thing. Witnesses aren’t supposed to be used, so clips are what we need.

Edited by FBI-01

Current:

A new story rises from the ashes

Former:

MTF Nu-7 SFTO & 2LT | D5 PVT | CI PFC | Moderator

what starstep said^^

i would like to add that the rank of Tmod is basically an extended training period, and some tmods with no prior experience might not know wtf they are doing. if you want to help, make a proper suggestion

"jailing the whole server trying to jail one guy": this happens on accident a LOT (maybe not the whole server but at least 5 people), and mostly can't be prevented. some people have names that are set up to bring everyone when brought (this can be circumventing by bringing a steamid but its a little known thing) , and other times the ULX system just acts weird. this really isnt a training issue as much as it is technical error or people being trolls. 

Former: Dispatch Director | PD MAJ | SCU CPT | FBI SAIC/HRT/DEA | SCO19

3 hours ago, FBI-01 said:

Clips make it easier to prove exactly what happened with a situation. If an OFC RDMs a D-class while screaming “I hate you” or accidentally crossfires him, combat logs are going to show the same thing. Witnesses aren’t supposed to be used, so clips are what we need.

I'm not saying video and screenshot evidence don't have their place, but being able to investigate a situation without that type of evidence being available is what separates the good admins from the mediocre. It's not hard to suss out a liar or piece together a series of events. And outright refusing to even inquire into a situation without video evidence is dereliction of duty.