Staff warn not based on any rules?

Stephano Crichton

Sorry if this is the wrong channel to post this in.

Hi Everyone, I usually go by Crichton on this server and I'm a new member to the gaminglight community with about 22 Hours of total playtime on Imperial RP over a 4-5 day span.

I'd say I'm a ideal member of a community like this intending on having a good time without breaking the rules (prior to this incident) and I hope others can say the same.

Me. A new member to the server, on downtime, was playing as a tusken raider. I have been playing seriously in a variety of roles never broken any rules prior. So Joker a Snr Mod (at time of posting) and a few others are gathered in his (Jokers) words 20 ft from the mountain you spawn on as a tusken raider. I was initially cuffed a fair distance away for my gun out (which is perfectly fine) and released by another tusken. Then after some casual conversation we were goofing around in Downtime and I was killed by the 9th sister again about 20 feet away from tusken spawn. After I respawned I slid down the cliff directly infront of me and not 5 seconds after respawning I was tased and arrested.

After telling the shock "bro I just respawned" or something like that I broke out of the cuffs I was restrained in. I used the feature to "struggle" and broke out of the cuffs.

After reading the rules there are NO explicit or implicit references to this being "FailRP" 

After bringing this up with Joker after he removed me from roleplay into a staff sit I made this exact point multiple times. After not reasoning at all with me or trying to understand my point of view, So I see it only fair to treat others how they treat me so I said "Ok return me, I don't care for what you say" In reference to this situation.

This situation dragged on for too long where again I detailed that no rules where in writing forbidding me from breaking out of cuffs with a "feature" that is built in and ENABLED on the cuff addon. To then Mark (Assisting Joker) Says its "common sense" and that I am supposed to know your not allowed to use a FEATURE, which is nowhere said to be disallowed.

It states in the rules FailRP is anything to be considered out of character. I was told that anything outside of /me is not in character. In response to this I presented the idea that if I can open a blast door with E why am I not allowed to use MOUSE1 to break out of cuffs? which again out of failure to reason with me saw him go ahead and warn me.

Here's the part where I apologise, after the warn I said "Fuck, you", I was in my eyes unterstandibley  frustrated that no one could cite a rule which I had broken but yet I recieved a warn. But I know that isn't an excuse to break the rules and what not so sorry Joker for staff dis.

But nontheless I feel as though I should not have been warned in the first place. I could be rdming people and recieve a punishment not to disimilar from what I got and in trying to be a serious and legitimate member of this community I feel that it is bad to punish people who are new and contributing to your community.

Any higher up staff I will be happy to have a chat, thankyou. discord: Daxx#1123

If you want the warn to be gone, argue your case following the format for false warning appeal in the report center section.

I’ll say this: 
I agree with you, I have no clue why people think that others new to the server would know that trying to break out of cuffs is FailRP in any sense. I’m pretty sure it’s not specifically stated in the rules anywhere in the first place (someone can correct me if I’m wrong). It’s not “common sense” to know that you wouldn’t be able to break out of cuffs if the add-on literally allows it, which is a pretty persistent problem across a lot of gmod servers, not just GL. Of course, sometimes the best addon must be chosen as I’m sure creating one specifically for the server would be very time-consuming. As a result of that however, there should be a SPECIFIC rule stating whether you can break out of them or not.

On Joker’s side, it seems you were being blatantly disrespectful, but it’s really hard to see how you two were actually interacting with each other without any video evidence.

Edited by Firekirby
  • Like 4

Retired GL Member (R DT CPT DM8)

7 Year Forum Account + Long-Standing GL Supporter

Former: Death Trooper Vice Commander (Unit TI-23 Overseer), 501st ARC Chip, Unit TI-23 Medic M36, Seeker Company SGT SN04, 69th SSGT Chip, Admin/GMVII

star wars animation GIF

I originally brought you up there to simply inform you that what you were doing was against the server rules but instead of complying and understanding after explaining for a little over 20min that you have /me to get out of cuffs and you can't break out of it falls under rule 4 of !motd you were disrespectful and argumentative pretty much from the get go and trying to compare /me opens an automatic door to breaking of out cuffs. I can understand the frustration of being pulled into a sit when you're unaware of rules especially one that's not writting in !motd but that's what we are here for is to help facilitate players into learning the rules I saw from your perspective but I can't change the rules and was simply informing you to not to do it again. Arguing with me and insulting me personally gets no where. After explaining to you it's FailRP and that you can make a post on the forums for them to add it to !motd I told you it's still FailRP and you can't do it so just don't break out, you can /me or have your friend unhandcuff you [Prior to the warn] then you said "I don't care what you have to say" which was uncalled for and rather rude since im taking the time to explain to you the rules of the server so we can avoid the same issue it only proceeded to escalate from there, after returning you you said "yeah, fuck yourself" in reference to me and the entirety of the sit. 
The situation dragged on because you kept refusing to acknowledge the server rules and would rather argue and insult me than just acknowledge that its a rule and to not do it again.
Thank you for the apology.

Edited by Rezzem

Current: High General | IMPRP-Lead Admin | Head Gamemaster
Previous: Shock Commander | Pyke Senior Commander

• Head of Staff

If you have an issue with a staff member or a false warn the appropriate action is to fill out a report or appeal in the report center

• Like 1

ImperialRP SMT | Head of Staff       

Head Forums Diplomat

Former High Admiral | Former DT Commander | Former State LTCOL | Former SPRT Commander

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 4:02 AM, Firekirby said:

add-on literally allows it

It's also very easy to disable it in the addon too.

Removed General Keegan

Former Medical Senior Commander Keegan 4571

Former ImperialRP Senior Admin

Former ImperialRP Senior Gamemaster

No critcon should not have been disrespectful or dragged the sit out but I still agree with him about the rule as I am still always confused about it why is it not in the MOTD
why is staff enforcing something that's not a rule

5M: EMS Captain, Sentinel
EX: Rescue Squadron Vice Marshal, Deputy Director, Director of research, medical COL, Shock, ST, Inferno. Starfighters, Naval, LOST MC X2, Mafia, Triad

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
                                                                                                                   —Confucius