Drop Team Speak Requirement- Denied

Snow Meister [Commissions Ope

Simply put, the requirement of Team Speak in certain battalions should be dropped.

Why you ask? Well it is simply because Discord can do almost all of what Team Speak can, but better or in a more user-friendly way. There is currently no need to require both in order to join a battalion, Discord has voice communication, text channels, and the ability to restrict access to certain portions of the Discord. This is without mentioning that a great many people will already have a discord account and will thus not need to create one nor install a new program. In my discussions with my fellow troopers about this topic, I have found that many agree with this sentiment and dislike Team Speak and wish only Discord was required.

I personally have been discouraged from joining two battalions all together because they required Team Speak, I and many others, do not want to install and set up an entirely new program and an account to simply see if a battalion is right for us. Shock is a great example of how Team Speak is not needed, as it is only required at Major and above, and the battalion works just fine without it. Getting rid of the Team Speak requirement would alienate less people and would make for a more enjoyable experience, as one would not need to download and set up a new account. This is saying nothing of the fact that Discord's UI is user friendly and easy to use where as Team Speak's is not, not to mention that Discord has an in built interface that can easily be accessed by pressing Shift and `. 

With all this said, I hope you can see why I and many others wish for the Team Speak requirement to be dropped or pushed to higher ranks. I hope I have made a convincing argument, as I truly think many in the community would welcome this change. Thank you for all you that have read, and even more so to those who support it. 

Have a phenomenal day,

Wolf

• Like 1

Former Shock CSM
Reserve ST SSGT

Maintenance Gremlin

-Support
Team-speak is used Globally across the community, all all Gaminglight servers. This was also implemented by Imperial-RP SMT for a reason. 
(Improved Communication between NCO's & Officers, and Enlisted) 

Team-speak isn't required, It's needed at the rank of SGT+, You can still play the server without using it
Team-speak also has a built interface, You need 'Overwolf' to access it in game

With a server that is Top 10 is Garry's Mod servers, Team-speak is our best use, Discord is ok but will separate us from other battalion communications, And there's plenty of other reasons why Team-speak is better

• Like 1

𝐒𝐂𝐏𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 - 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐨𝐬 𝐋𝐭. 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫
𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ₋ 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥

21 minutes ago, TAlila | Tay Keith! said:

-Support
Team-speak is used Globally across the community, all all Gaminglight servers. This was also implemented by Imperial-RP SMT for a reason. 

Team-speak isn't required, It's needed at the rank of SGT+, You can still play the server without using it

With a server that is Top 10 is Garry's Mod servers, Team-speak is our best use, Discord is ok but will separate us from other battalion communications, And there's plenty of other reasons why Team-speak is better

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

ℝ𝕖𝕥𝕚𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝔻𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕙 𝕍𝕒𝕕𝕖𝕣 〙〘 𝐑𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐑𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝟒 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥 

𝐑𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐌𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐲𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐦 

rsz_637164163412330000.png.a957a0faf21cdc0dc6d55d82d9dc64ce.png

4 minutes ago, Snow Meister [Commissions Ope said:

The matter of Team Speak only being Sargent+ is false, both DT and SF require it at the beginning of your training. This is also without mentioning that a great number of people in your servers do not want to use, or have issues with Team Speak

Some battalions require TS when you join. DT are not allowed to talk  (Since this is in lore) so they talk in Teamspeak.  Starfighters need TS to talk via TS because they fly, meaning it'd be impossible to communicate with in-game comms. It makes sense. My point still stands, this issue has been brought up in multiple community meetings and SMT/EMT says it will not change. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

𝐒𝐂𝐏𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 - 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐨𝐬 𝐋𝐭. 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫
𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ₋ 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥

20 minutes ago, TAlila | Tay Keith! said:

Some battalions require TS when you join. DT are not allowed to talk  (Since this is in lore) so they talk in Teamspeak.  Starfighters need TS to talk via TS because they fly, meaning it'd be impossible to communicate with in-game comms. It makes sense. My point still stands, this issue has been brought up in multiple community meetings and SMT/EMT says it will not change. 

Both of which can be done in discord, and thus TS is not needed in these cases

• Dislike 1

Former Shock CSM
Reserve ST SSGT

Maintenance Gremlin

2 hours ago, TAlila | Tay Keith! said:

-Support

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

O5

Former: DT CPT , CGO - Tenn Graneet 31st VCMDR -> Havoc CMDR

7 hours ago, TAlila | Tay Keith! said:

-Support

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

𝙍𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙂𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙚𝙧𝙖𝙡 | 𝙍𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙎𝙪𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙖𝙙𝙢𝙞𝙣 
talkingtobeckett.gif.90f1583a720f8ef9e8da8f858f177f55.gif

Imagine seeing a post about a valid complaint that many within the community hold and wish to see something done about, and imagine missing the entire point of said post. Imagine acknowledging that much of your community hates a application you use, and would like to see it pushed further up the ranks, or switched out for a better alternative. Then imagine that you also get many complaints, threads, and posts about said application, only to dismiss it completely in favor of flaunting your success instead of listening to any constructive criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 5

Former Shock CSM
Reserve ST SSGT

Maintenance Gremlin

1 hour ago, Snow Meister [Commissions Ope said:

Imagine seeing a post about a valid complaint that many within the community hold and wish to see something done about, and imagine missing the entire point of said post. Imagine acknowledging that much of your community hates a application you use, and would like to see it pushed further up the ranks, or switched out for a better alternative. Then imagine that you also get many complaints, threads, and posts about said application, only to dismiss it completely in favor of flaunting your success instead of listening to any constructive criticism. 

If you took about an hour to learn how team speak worked you would be much better off, also TS has been used for years in this community and there has been a small amount of complaints as it really does work well.
This is one of the 1st complaints of TS I have seen in the 11 months I have been in GL so it's not that big of an issue but you're doing god's work bro!

𝙍𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙂𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙚𝙧𝙖𝙡 | 𝙍𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙎𝙪𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙖𝙙𝙢𝙞𝙣 
talkingtobeckett.gif.90f1583a720f8ef9e8da8f858f177f55.gif

+1 support TS is outdated and informal, discord is much better. Just because something is used for years doesn't mean that we cant upgrade to a far better service for speaking in (discord).  I have been using TeamSpeak for years and the whole system is very tedious and not user-friendly compared to discord,  and the fact that some of you are  berating this man for having a very valid opinion is truly uncalled for and disrespectful.

my condolences.JPG

27 minutes ago, xaosst said:

+1 support TS is outdated and informal, discord is much better. Just because something is used for years doesn't mean that we cant upgrade to a far better service for speaking in (discord).  I have been using TeamSpeak for years and the whole system is very tedious and not user-friendly compared to discord,  and the fact that some of you are  berating this man for having a very valid opinion is truly uncalled for and disrespectful.

-Support

While Luci was talking to 501st he legit said why we use TeamSpeak.

It is best for people who may be across the planet it adapts to them making them clear unless your latency. Personally I do not care for TeamSpeak, I would choose being able to hear everyone over only being able to hear people near you due to their connection.

TeamSpeak isn't hard to download and learn, you barely need to learn much, discord to new people who do not have it can and will be more confusing then TeamSpeak at times.

TeamSpeak is also easier to see people, to talk to each other, and when the occasion that you may hit a huge amount of players in one room, you can easily turn the volume down.

It can also help by using less of your computer to run, my PC drops lots of frames when I leave discord open, while TeamSpeak does not. 

"Just because something is used for years doesn't mean that we cant upgrade to a far better service for speaking in (discord)." 

This arguement can't be held, as switching would likely cost resources that can easily be use don something bettering the server and what makes discord better?

Having the ability to password channels is a lot better  and not having to let only certain roles into rooms is just useless (Discord).

It's easier in TeamSpeak to put a password on a room then the steps for discord.

Discord you need to make a role, make a channel, most likely make a category, then use permissions for the ability for that said role to join the channel.

Personally, just stick through it and learn TeamSpeak and get better at using it.

Edit: Sorry if this seems scrambled, just wanted to give an opinion.

Edited by [GL] loudyfam (Jack S)
  • Like 1

Retired DHOS || Former Wardens Comissioner Caligula || Former SRIC in R&D || Former OH8 Funni [Redacted] Man | | Retired OPSV in Maintenance || Former MMF Duck || Former HLPR Bot AC3 || Retired 2LT in E-11 || Former Head Field Scout || Former Ranger Pax || former ET || Former Omicron-9 CPT  || Former OM9 EXP Delta PoliceRP: PD LCPL | SCU LT

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. " -John F Kennedy, Rice University, Sept. 12, 1962

921397099_FloppaGif.gif.0ca3f427de08905a1e4630bb46685aef.gif

4 minutes ago, [GL] loudyfam (Jack S) said:

-Support

It is best for people who may be across the planet it adapts to them making them clear unless your latency. Personally I do not care for TeamSpeak, I would choose being able to hear everyone over only being able to hear people near you due to their connection.

TeamSpeak isn't hard to download and learn, you barely need to learn much, discord to new people who do not have it can and will be more confusing then TeamSpeak at times.

TeamSpeak is also easier to see people, to talk to each other, and when the occasion that you may hit a huge amount of players in one room, you can easily turn the volume down.

It can also help by using less of your computer to run, my PC drops lots of frames when I leave discord open, while TeamSpeak does not. 

"Just because something is used for years doesn't mean that we cant upgrade to a far better service for speaking in (discord)." 

This arguement can't be held, as switching would likely cost resources that can easily be use don something bettering the server and what makes discord better?

Having the ability to password channels is a lot better  and not having to let only certain roles into rooms is just useless (Discord).

It's easier in TeamSpeak to put a password on a room then the steps for discord.

Discord you need to make a role, make a channel, most likely make a category, then use permissions for the ability for that said role to join the channel.

Personally, just stick through it and learn TeamSpeak and get better at using it.

I disagree with your opinion, but I do respect how polite and reasonable you were with how you worded it

• Like 1

Former Shock CSM
Reserve ST SSGT

Maintenance Gremlin

5 minutes ago, [GL] loudyfam (Jack S) said:

-Support

You make some valid points but I feel that the only "resource" is time. Without getting in to and debating your other points, I would like to just leave it as such: You shouldn't be required to have TeamSpeak to join certain battalions as well as having over wolf,  

condolence.jpg

• Manager

DENIED

Unfortunately, we do not feel that this suggestion is suitable. Teamspeak is a great form of communication and has considerable more benefits than discord, like much improved voice quality and the large amount of role permissions available. This application is one of the main reasons we are now one of the top communities in Gmod, and if you have noticed, all the other successful communities use it too - so it obviously helps. 

However, we do appreciate your attitude in trying to help us improve and we would love to see some more ideas you have!

*SMT reserves the right to reverse this decision at any time, even after the suggested contents addition to the server*