Anyone know how to not instantly disconnect?

BruceyBoyo

So I've tried to play on the PoliceRP server, as it looks somewhat fun. i have downloaded all of the addons and been able to" join" but when I load in and see the world, although I can open menus and such I'm already an insane length of time into a timeout (somehow, longer that I have been connecting - my timeout has been somehow set to 2 hours clientside and I load in with an hour left, even though I haven't been connecting for an hour.) I can see no reason for this on my own end (my available bandwidth is vastly more than the maximum data rate the server allows) but I would assume that someone would have noticed if joining the server was impossible full stop, so does anyone know how to not get automatically disconnected upon joining? Enabling multicore rendering doesn't fix it, which I tried just in case it was somehow relevant. I do spawn in with some chat and a lot of console spam already present though - enough to see the printer system initialized, the errors from vast numbers of not-quite-coded-right addons, my "Welcome Back" message after a couple of other players joining, etc. There's no sign of an actual connecting-ending error, though - it seems the connection just mysteriously and silently ends without either side actually ending it.

For what it's worth, the netgraph claims the server is only managing 2.5 ticks a second, but this would presumably affect everyone. Sorry if this doesn't belong in general but I couldn't find a better place.

Deputy Commissioner of Police

Former SCO19 Chief Constable | Reserve HRT Commander | Reserve FBI Assistant Director

It is always worth doing a compete delete of your gmod and reinstall. I would highly recommend following this guide step by step and it usually fixes these issues

STEP 3: GMOD Reinstall

In late January 2020, GMod released an update that changed the way that workshop and addon downloads are handled. If you have not done so since then I would HIGHLY *HIGHLY* recommend that you reinstall your full gmod to ensure that there are no conflicts. 

Now this does not just mean going into steam and hitting uninstall and reinstall.

You will need to manually delete some files to ensure you have the freshest install.

First, uninstall in steam like you would normally do.

Then, go into your program files and locate the Garry's Mod folder. Mine looks like this D:\steamapps\steamapps\common\GarrysMod

Delete that whole folder.

Next, navigate to your workshop downloads folder which is now saved in a new location. Here is what mine looks like D:\steamapps\steamapps\workshop\content\4000

Delete that whole folder as well.

Now you are all set to reinstall through steam and can start back at step 1 if you are missing content.

I've managed to fix it, although part of the solution made very little sense.

First, I turned off mounting TF2 in my client, as having TF2 content mounted causes odd problems with some servers. Second, I updated... Firefox. Apparently hl2.exe runs better and uses less resources if Firefox is up to date, for reasons I cannot comprehend.

This still requires two attempts to join, because Gmod only allocates memory to itself very slowly, so the first attempt always times out, but with TF2 unmounted and Firefox updated (???) the second attempt now works just fine. So... if anyone else has connection problems, that's a possible solution, strange as it is.

Deputy Commissioner of Police

Former SCO19 Chief Constable | Reserve HRT Commander | Reserve FBI Assistant Director

1 minute ago, BruceyBoyo said:

I've managed to fix it, although part of the solution made very little sense.

First, I turned off mounting TF2 in my client, as having TF2 content mounted causes odd problems with some servers. Second, I updated... Firefox. Apparently hl2.exe runs better and uses less resources if Firefox is up to date, for reasons I cannot comprehend.

This still requires two attempts to join, because Gmod only allocates memory to itself very slowly, so the first attempt always times out, but with TF2 unmounted and Firefox updated (???) the second attempt now works just fine. So... if anyone else has connection problems, that's a possible solution, strange as it is.

gmod is a very weird and old game  dont even question it just act like it never happened

PD SM | SWAT LT | SL Consigliere 

MLG Pro Negev player 

#buffthenegev2023

rfawfa.png.7b7c7a61861c5b4a13bf66567ce2fb82.png