Change to Code Red Rules - Denied

Kessel

What you want to see? - Change Rule #1 to allow code red if someone attacks an officer or citizen FIRST, and THEN flees.

Why should we add it? - The first code red condition of the current MOTD requires us to wait for a suspect to shoot at us AFTER running before we are allowed to code red them. See Tennessee v. Garner: "Under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, a police officer may use deadly force to prevent the escape of a fleeing suspect only if the officer has a good-faith belief that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others." I believe it would be more realistic to allow us to code red vehicles after they commit a violent crime and flee while still armed, as they could still go on to harm/kill others if they are allowed to escape. I do not believe that we should have to give them a chance to get out and shoot at us a second time before we fire into their vehicle, as the parameters for this case law would already be met, and they can still be considered a threat. 

What are the advantages of having this? - It's more accurate to real-world case law, and allows us to end a threat to the public sooner without putting officers or the public in greater danger, should they initially escape our sight.

Who is it mainly for? - Government

Links to any content - N/A

Edited by Synr.gg | Kessel
  • Like 1

I see where you are coming from, but we are trying to avoid shootout situations and encourage more chases. Additionally, only tac and pd command can authorize a code red to ensure not every chase is a code red situation. While it might be slightly more realistic, this would take the server in a direction of encouraging gun fights and discouraging RP so for that reason im going to deny this