Discussion about the obsession with 'activity'.

Slurper

Hi guys, before I go into more detail I just want to say that this isn't a personal attack at anyone, I just want to see how others feel about this topic.

I've got almost 3 days game time on this server now and I have been really enjoying it, the community is chill and the new map is pretty cool too. However there's one thing that bugs me a little and it's to do with the word 'activity'.

This whole RP scene revolves around climbing the ranks, and I have been told in game multiple times that being on the server more increases the chance of being ranked up, and this makes sense to a certain extent. However, I feel like this server (and maybe gmod RP in general - I haven't played many other servers so I don't know) has a strong obsession with punishing people for 'low' activity. It often feels like 'activity' is the only thing taken into consideration when judging whether a player deserves to be demoted/promoted. I'm writing this because I got a message on Discord saying 'Slurper I need to see you on more' which to me is incredibly odd and weirdly threatening (this isn't me having a go at the person who sent it, I have nothing against them). I'm a 3rd year University student with a part time job, I can't physically be on this game and when I do have spare time I don't always want to be on this game and I'm sure there are other players, both past and present, who are in similar situations to myself. I understand a VCMDR etc. needs to be on more as these are very important roles, this makes sense. But for me it feels isolating and demoralising to be told 'you need to spend more time on this game' (bearing in mind I'm on at least 3 times a week for at least 3 hours at a time) when the whole point of a game is to have fun, right? If I spent more time on this game (which for me is impossible anyway) I would burn out very quickly and probably never return (and I see that a load of the reasons for LOAs are 'burnt out') which I feel propagates from this whole 'activity' obsession. I understand there's an LOA system but sometimes I don't know when I'm going to be gone for a few days so it doesn't work. I'm not saying that activity shouldn't be rewarded or that it's unimportant, I'm saying that for casual players like myself it pushes me away from wanting to play the game; I don't come on the server to be told I'm not online enough, I come on to chill out and have fun.

Once again, this isn't a dig at anyone in particular or the management of the server, it's just my opinion on the unhealthy obsession of activity. I would be interested in seeing what other people think, both from more casual players like myself and players who dedicate more time to the server!

idk if imperialrp depts offer this but i suggest asking to go on reduced activity so you dont feel forced to be active dealing with irl things

Delta Force~PPD
 Ex SS Deputy Assistant Director~Ex SRT SGT~Ex Swat MSGT

Ex SNR Mod/Senior Event Team

😈

Activity is very important for all battalions on the server as it shows 1. That our server has an active player base and 2. It shows how well a battalion is doing. Most of the time when we want to see more activity it’s because if the entire battalion was inactive it would make it less fun for everyone because there’s no one to interact with. I fully get when people can’t be active because of irl things and I can’t think of anyone who would give you any issues for it. As far as promoting based on activity it’s true but also not. Most of the time if your seen on the server and interacting with members of your battalion they will notice you and either promote you or recommend you get promoted. And it’s perfectly acceptable to take a ROA so you can be semi active and not be removed for it.

I hope I cleared somethings up with for you also if you have any questions you can find me in game!

Last-Senior Commander Iden Versio (First IF SharpShooter Overseer, Last Commander ID10,Team Chestbox Gang)

Founder of the Gaminglight Christian Alliance Ex-Super Admin SawickM/Forum Diplomat/Supportspacer.png