Change rank requirement required to suggest a battalion update [Denied]

Firekirby

What do you want to see?:

I want to see a rank requirement change needed to suggest a battalion update to command officer (MAJ+ and equivalents).

Why should we add it?:

I noticed on my time on the server that the rank requirement needed to make a change to the battalion is unnecessarily high. While a Commander should lead the direction of the battalion, the reality is some Commanders become complacent for far too long and don't actually do much for the battalion (saw this from multiple battalions). By the time you're in a command officer position, you know enough about your battalion to suggest significant changes (even as a transfer, you'll still know how battalions on the server operate in general). Giving the option for command officers+ to suggest battalion-wide changes can serve as a good gauge for who is actually suggesting and coming up with long-term changes, and can help determine a future VCMDR/CMDR, without overwhelming the forums due to only a handful of people being MAJ+ in that respective regiment anyway. If the ideas put out by that command officer aren't liked, then of course people in that battalion can just voice their -support on the forums. Anyone on the server can already indirectly influence their battalion by suggesting changes to specific weapons, tools, or HP, so why shouldn't the higher-up officers be allowed to suggest battalion updates? Limiting battalion updates to strictly the Commander can also prevent possible good updates from getting through just because the Commander alone does not like the idea. Let the people decide!

What are the advantages of having this?:

This would provide needed changes for a battalion in a quicker amount of time by increasing the amount of people who have access to suggest a battalion update, as well as show who is working hard to get things done for their battalion in general.

Who is it mainly for?:

Anyone in a battalion.

Links to any content:

N/A

Retired GL Member (R DT CPT DM8)

7 Year Forum Account + Long-Standing GL Supporter

Former: Death Trooper Vice Commander (Unit TI-23 Overseer), 501st ARC Chip, Unit TI-23 Medic M36, Seeker Company SGT SN04, 69th SSGT Chip, Admin/GMVII

star wars animation GIF

-Support

-As much as this seems to be a good idea, I dont think it would be feasible to allow this. There are so many Maj+ on this server, that this could easily turn into a massive headache for high command. Instead of hearing between one and three voices, they would have to hear how many ever Maj+ are in each battalion. In other words, good in Theory, not so much in practice.

-This is what officer meetings are for. Any commander that is actually fit for their station should be open to any and all Ideas from their officers, battalion suggestions and beyond. Battalions are supposed to be a coordinated effort, and if a battalion is still standing on the server, they are mostly Coordinated.

-If you can't adequately get something through to your commander, and you have adequately followed the chain of command, it is more than feasible to go to the HC member that delegates to your commander. 

-I may be biased on this topic, since I do personally feel like I have a very supportive command team, so please, take my comments as you will.

Edited by BloodyFork
  • Thanks 1

Current Royal Guard Vice Sovereign Sun Tzu

"The Saber Guard Defense Force"

Former: Saber Guard Primus

Playing Star Wars GIF

1 hour ago, BloodyFork said:

-Support

-As much as this seems to be a good idea, I dont think it would be feasible to allow this. There are so many Maj+ on this server, that this could easily turn into a massive headache for high command. Instead of hearing between one and three voices, they would have to hear how many ever Maj+ are in each battalion. In other words, good in Theory, not so much in practice.

-This is what officer meetings are for. Any commander that is actually fit for their station should be open to any and all Ideas from their officers, battalion suggestions and beyond. Battalions are supposed to be a coordinated effort, and if a battalion is still standing on the server, they are mostly Coordinated.

-If you can't adequately get something through to your commander, and you have adequately followed the chain of command, it is more than feasible to go to the HC member that delegates to your commander. 

-I may be biased on this topic, since I do personally feel like I have a very supportive command team, so please, take my comments as you will.

This would vastly undermine the purpose of a Commander, no thanks.

• Thanks 2

| RETIRED GENERAL OF THE IMPERIAL ARMY |
| FIRST EVER IMPERIAL GOVERNOR || Former 501st "Vader's Fist" Legion Commander || Former Senior Commander || Former SF Crimson || Former IF Agent Lone Six |
| Former Imperial RP Senior Administrator || Former Senior Forums Diplomat || Former Imperial RP Gamemaster VII || Retired 501st VCMDR |
season 1 duel of the droids GIF by Star Wars

@BloodyFork

I can see where you’re coming from on your points. However, I do think it’s worth mentioning most battalions don’t have that many MAJ+ in the first place, usually max of 5 or so and right now on most rosters is 1-2. In addition to this, not every MAJ+ would be trying to make battalion updates 24/7 anyway. It takes a lot of work to get after one. 

A problem with suggesting upwards, especially in a command officer position, is that the credit for original ideas is vastly undermined and taken by the person who submits the battalion change themselves. One of my friends from DT discussed how this happened to him and nothing was done about it.

Former: Death Trooper Vice Commander (Unit TI-23 Overseer), 501st ARC Chip, Unit TI-23 Medic M36, Seeker Company SGT SN04, 69th SSGT Chip, Admin/GMVII

star wars animation GIF

2 hours ago, Theta said:

The problem is that if someone becomes complacent in that position an entire battalion can die off or greatly drop in numbers. Commanders should certainly lead their battalion in change, but the reality is that this isn’t always the case. At the bare minimum, VCMDRs should be able to submit battalion updates, but I feel like anyone who has reached the command officer position may know the battalion as well as anyone else in it. In my opinion it’s just silly to only have ONE person in a battalion who can suggest a battalion update. While I think an important part of being a Commander is leading change, I feel like the more important aspect is making executive decisions about those within the battalion and being a shining example of your regiment. Just my thoughts. 

star wars animation GIF

5 hours ago, BloodyFork said:

-Support

In my opinion it is the responsibility of the Command Team to get changes within there battalion. Also, the command team would have to approve the changes along with light command. Finally, there is nothing saying that anyone with an idea cannot take it to their command team.

Edited by JackForPrez

spacer.png

- Support
- Not Needed
- Always been the job of command to post suggestions for their battalion is makes no sense for MAJ+ be able do it 

7 hours ago, Theta said:

Former: Grand Inquisitor   Lead Admin
sasuke GIF

8 hours ago, Theta said:

Theta is 100% right. Officers are there to guide the battalion and assist command but it is the command teams responsibility to suggest updates to their battalion.

• Like 2

| Super Admin | Senior Forums Diplomat Support Advisor |
| Chaos Insurgency Staff Sergeant | Epsilon-11 Warrant Officer | 
CC Owned: | 47th Clan | Talon | Darth Jar Jar | Banshee Squadron | Door Technicians | CI Banshee Unit

7 hours ago, Firekirby said:

@BloodyFork

I can see where you’re coming from on your points. However, I do think it’s worth mentioning most battalions don’t have that many MAJ+ in the first place, usually max of 5 or so and right now on most rosters is 1-2. In addition to this, not every MAJ+ would be trying to make battalion updates 24/7 anyway. It takes a lot of work to get after one. 

A problem with suggesting upwards, especially in a command officer position, is that the credit for original ideas is vastly undermined and taken by the person who submits the battalion change themselves. One of my friends from DT discussed how this happened to him and nothing was done about it.

You can make a battalion update post as any rank really so long as your command agrees with it. The reason why you don’t see that often is because commanders typically know what to do for a suggestion post and it’s easier a commander (who knows what they are doing) writes the post rather than a first timer. 

Last-Senior Commander Iden Versio (First IF SharpShooter Overseer, Last Commander ID10,Team Chestbox Gang)

Founder of the Gaminglight Christian Alliance Ex-Super Admin SawickM/Forum Diplomat/Supportspacer.png

9 minutes ago, Bear_ said:

Yeahhhhh, no. 

Literally 

RETIRED

30 Second Darth Vader Kio

Stepped down General Kio |  Retired Dupe Builder for Army/Navy High Command | Last Ever Nova Senior Commander | Retired Assistant Head GameMaster | Admin | ST Vice Commander Revenant

Bleach Bankai GIF

Okay, so this suggestion is very likely gonna get denied and I understand where you guys are coming from, probably not a good idea, but I do wanna state this:

There's a high likelihood for ideas to continue being taken from command officers in the future and credit not being given where credit is due, and something has to be done about it. Even if a question like "who in your battalion came up with this change?" was put into the battalion update format, I believe it would help a lot. As I said prior, this has happened within my battalion and I highly doubt this will be the last time it happens. A current problem is routing things up the chain puts you at risk for losing credit for an idea/change and there needs to be a way that prevents this from happening. Thanks to those who left more than a couple words of feedback regardless of your stance, your lack of disdain is appreciated!

Edited by Firekirby
  • Like 1

star wars animation GIF

10 hours ago, Firekirby said:

Okay, so this suggestion is very likely gonna get denied and I understand where you guys are coming from, probably not a good idea, but I do wanna state this:

There's a high likelihood for ideas to continue being taken from command officers in the future and credit not being given where credit is due, and something has to be done about it. Even if a question like "who in your battalion came up with this change?" was put into the battalion update format, I believe it would help a lot. As I said prior, this has happened within my battalion and I highly doubt this will be the last time it happens. A current problem is routing things up the chain puts you at risk for losing credit for an idea/change and there needs to be a way that prevents this from happening. Thanks to those who left more than a couple words of feedback regardless of your stance, your lack of disdain is appreciated!

I do +support this. It makes sense that someone should get credit for an idea, so adding that question would be a good idea.

• Like 1

Current Royal Guard Vice Sovereign Sun Tzu

"The Saber Guard Defense Force"

Former: Saber Guard Primus

Playing Star Wars GIF

11 hours ago, Firekirby said:

+Support

I've seen this happen a lot in my time over the Years and I do agree there should be some kind of question like you explained. As in my opinion this would help HC see who is actually taking the time to come up with Ideas to improve the battalion instead of others who may not and may just be sitting in there spot to fill the void.

Also it is quite literally putting a Extra question on a Format that is 1-2 Words, Not very time consuming and generally is good idea! Props to you Mr. Kirby

(But I do still think CMD members should be writing the Updates / Suggestions)

Edited by MrPickle
  • Like 1

Former: Darth Vader

Former: Super Administrator | Forum Diplomat | Support Advisor

17 hours ago, Firekirby said:

I do agree about the fact that they should get credit for the Update/idea, but the only thing we can do now is to try and show that the Commanding officers did something and or came up with the idea

RETIRED

30 Second Darth Vader Kio

Stepped down General Kio |  Retired Dupe Builder for Army/Navy High Command | Last Ever Nova Senior Commander | Retired Assistant Head GameMaster | Admin | ST Vice Commander Revenant

Bleach Bankai GIF

• Head of Staff

Forums Diplomat Message
Please keep all comments on this post to a +/- Support basis only. Comments that are not +/- Supports will be hidden in accordance to the forums rules, and warnings will possibly be given out.

@Bear_ @Kio @Jacstur

Thanks!

Head Diplomat Frog

• Laughing 1
  • Heart-Eyes 2
  • Skull 1

ImperialRP SMT | Head of Staff       

Head Forums Diplomat

Former High Admiral | Former DT Commander | Former State LTCOL | Former SPRT Commander

On 10/14/2022 at 2:32 AM, BloodyFork said:

-Support

5M: EMS Captain, Sentinel
EX: Rescue Squadron Vice Marshal, Deputy Director, Director of research, medical COL, Shock, ST, Inferno. Starfighters, Naval, LOST MC X2, Mafia, Triad

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
                                                                                                                   —Confucius

-Support

It is the commands job to keep tab of what changes are being made within there regiment. They are trusted to understand the regiments wishes and to know how to further there success. With that it is trusted that command take all of there officers suggestions into consideration and filter out the outlandish ones. If suggestions are being posted without consulting command it would be a headache for Regimental Command and High Command. As well it could leave room for changes to be added without actually understanding where the command stand on the issue as yes they can -Support but they may washed out by other comments.

| Imperial Governor of Lothal and Tatooine |

"If you don’t take risks, you can’t create a future." - Monkey D. Luffy

4 hours ago, ZeferGaming said:

+ support 

In a current point of view. Major+ has vary little responsibility in Impieral I don't even know why they are called Commanding Officer's they have no more power or say then a normal officer only thing that changes is Promo perms 

If you Trusted your Officers more, you would give them at lest the Respect to hear them out and let them in on the decision making of the Battelion. 

And don't say this don't work  because SCP dose it just fine. 

Also Naval us to do this back when Ducks and Mikey was high command the amount of Opinions are not the problem. 

Here how I would do things and how I'm Currently doing things in SCP 

Let the Command Highest Make the post (aka the Commander) but get the opinions of everyone in Commanding Officers and Vice Commander+ alike if that's to much to do make a Google doc and get all the Officers to make Suggestions then set up a Meeting about it. 

Your command for a reason after all lead! And build on for the future. 

And if you really want to live by example let other Battelion throw in there two sense as well 

You would be surprised what ideas some ppl may come up with from other branches

Has happened to me a few times in the 2 weeks I've been SCP command So why not? 

Anyways rant over had to give my two sense here. 

This gives a standard explanation from my point as well.
+Support.

SGM Husky, Senior Admin, Content Creator James Bright