Dear Event Team.

Jummy

(i am preparing for atleast 10 nerd emoji reacts)

Hi, this is a short, open letter to the Event Team, just a concern I have with certain events.

Now I like most of the Events hosted on this server, I find they can be fun, and often do their job of enhancing RP. But those are the best case scenario events, however I've noticed a large trend towards ONLY combat focused events.

Don't get me wrong here, I know that most of the server plays combatant jobs, and that most of the server enjoys these types of events, but even if it's still fun it not only hurts non-combatants' experience, but everyone's RP experience as a whole.

So, let's go over 2 recent events that I think were of note.

The Major Omega-1 Event that happened recently is an example of a more combat heavy RP focused Event, having certain factions rebel, including other combatants, and having the whole comms discourse with the O5 members. It was pretty cool to see the entire foundation working together against the Ethics, coming from someone who took part in the event myself. However, non-combatant branches didn't really have much to do unless rebelling, or being on a combatant job, which wasn't the best as I feel there were some interesting things that could be done such as being hostages, negotiating, or just trying to work together without the help of the Foundation or Omega-1, and making their own faction. Things like that make extremely long events worth sitting through because there are just some awesome things you can see when every branch is a part of something (aside from CI, sadly)

And then an event hosted today, with two SCP-049-2 instances that were all powerful.

Now, events where there's just a monster running in the facility are common, which is expected cause that's very common in this site. But I did not see any roleplay aspect in any capacity during the event. An SCP with 4000 health running at you with claws is jarring and doesn't really open up any way to improv/RP off of it aside from: "Oh shit, let's kill it.".  And underpowered non-combatants couldn't really do anything about it whilst it was running around LCZ, their main spawn.

In the first event, even though non-combatants were very weak, they could still do things, like what Utility did. In the second event, because of both MOTD/SOP restrictions and the tools given to them, they literally could not do shit against it.

I'm not against primarily combat focused events, that's fine, but forcing these events onto people who both A: probably don't want to fight and B: can't fight in the first place really only hurts the RP environment. If you are going to do events like this, give non-combatants something to do like in the Omega-1 event. Just please don't make Non-Combatant's lives harder without a choice.

That's all, thanks for reading.

• Sad 1
  • Gaminglight Love 1

Research Administrator | R.A.U. Commissioner | External Agent 3 "Oyasumi"

image.png.ef2fbf407892c884509d5e5c10e6fc2c.png

Now I am not saying I will not make RP Events, but everytime I host one and I do the poll. People say "There was an event?" in ooc and honestly it just discourages me. Also you mention an event that happened today and left out the RP event that also happened?

• Gaminglight Love 1

Former:

𝐒𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫 - 𝐒𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐀𝐝𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

29 minutes ago, Pills said:

event that also happened?

i just wasn't aware of this, to be honest. I hopped on late today, but thanks for informing.

43 minutes ago, [GL] Fizz-y Soda said:

To be fair, RP events don't get a lot of attention. I think it's gotten to the point where people feel discouraged to host RP events over combat ones because of this lack of attendance.

i'm not saying to just host RP events, but maybe have a way for non-combatants to also be included, and vice versa, also don't just force people into RP like with the 049-2 event today.

15 minutes ago, Jummy said:

i'm not saying to just host RP events, but maybe have a way for non-combatants to also be included, and vice versa, also don't just force people into RP like with the 049-2 event today.

This whole thing is you gotta entice those groups to get on but typically those groups tend to be non-existent when the time comes. An issue compounded by issues stacked on top another issue. Sift through all that and the root just ends up being... people.

Can't force people to get on certain jobs over others which in turn does not incentivize doing inclusive events. Maybe this recent update may change things (if it sticks, god willing) and we can go back to those times. But you are still dependent on people giving damns.

1 hour ago, Jummy said:

I'm not against primarily combat focused events, that's fine, but forcing these events onto people who both A: probably don't want to fight and B: can't fight in the first place really only hurts the RP environment.

This I completely agree with, I've always made any combatant event very clear as I understand non-combatants can't do much. But it's extremely hard to make an event that incorporates both combatant's & non-combatants, that's why it always leans on one or other. Garry's Mod is just so limited & it doesn't help with lag & server limitations. 

I do agree with the Omega-1 Event completely, although it's not like (for example) a punishment or limitation can be made, mainly because it damages creativity heavily. At max a talking to can occur, however it's extremely hard to improve something like that, without disrespecting their creativity and leaving them discouraged.

1 hour ago, [GL] Fizz-y Soda said:

To be fair, RP events don't get a lot of attention. I think it's gotten to the point where people feel discouraged to host RP events over combat ones because of this lack of attendance.

Also this is extremely accurate, our server is much more combat originated.

@JummyI'll send this thread up to the SET Team right now, and they can take a read & attempt to make changes. 

𝐒𝐂𝐏𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 - 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐨𝐬 𝐋𝐭. 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫
𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ₋ 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥

Hello,

Firstly, I want to say thank you for bringing this matter up. The goal of ET is to make events that people enjoy to participate in and experience. Regarding the Omega-1 event, I do apologize that it wasn't more RP oriented, as that was the goal, but a big part of doing events is indeed improv, so sometimes you just have to roll with the situation. However, there are ways to adjust for this that I plan on doing in the near future, so the next mega event that I do will include some revised ideas for this reason. Regarding the 049-2 event that happened today, I am just now hearing about this as I was gone, so I'm not super familiar with that.

4 hours ago, Pills said:

Now I am not saying I will not make RP Events, but everytime I host one and I do the poll. People say "There was an event?" in ooc and honestly it just discourages me. Also you mention an event that happened today and left out the RP event that also happened?

This is also an issue that we run into a lot. ET puts in a lot of time to do events and plan them out and it's very demoralizing when it's barely noticed. Hopefully going forward we can find a way to mix the two to where everyone is happy.

If you have any other questions or input, please feel free to message me on discord!

SCP-RP Head of Staff | Ethics Committee Chairman

Former Nu-7 VCMDR l Former GenSec CPT

First off, thanks for responding everyone. You all make good points aswell, specifically about the non-ET's effects on the event and the struggles of Improv.

16 hours ago, Sparkle said:

This whole thing is you gotta entice those groups to get on but typically those groups tend to be non-existent when the time comes. An issue compounded by issues stacked on top another issue. Sift through all that and the root just ends up being... people.

Can't force people to get on certain jobs over others which in turn does not incentivize doing inclusive events. Maybe this recent update may change things (if it sticks, god willing) and we can go back to those times. But you are still dependent on people giving damns.

16 hours ago, TAlila | Tay Keith! said:

This I completely agree with, I've always made any combatant event very clear as I understand non-combatants can't do much. But it's extremely hard to make an event that incorporates both combatant's & non-combatants, that's why it always leans on one or other. Garry's Mod is just so limited & it doesn't help with lag & server limitations. 

I do agree with the Omega-1 Event completely, although it's not like (for example) a punishment or limitation can be made, mainly because it damages creativity heavily. At max a talking to can occur, however it's extremely hard to improve something like that, without disrespecting their creativity and leaving them discouraged.

Also this is extremely accurate, our server is much more combat originated.

@JummyI'll send this thread up to the SET Team right now, and they can take a read & attempt to make changes. 

These issues are completely understandable, but I feel they can be fixed.  I've asked some other command in my branch to bring up potentially rewarding enlisted for attending events in non-combatant branches, or atleast incentivising it more than we are now, but there's still a bit of a road we gotta go down.

Once again thanks for responding, especially higher ET/Staff members, I like to see that this is already getting a bit of traction.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:48 PM, Jummy said:

And underpowered non-combatants couldn't really do anything about it whilst it was running around LCZ, their main spawn.

This was very true. I was trying to protect my medical staff but I couldn't because I had an ACR against a zombie that had 4k health and claws that did 60 DMG (somethin like that). It felt more of an RDM event than anything, because there was no RP involved. No backstory was gave, no samples were taken of the zombies to try and reverse the effects and save them. They didn't even tell how they breached to my knowledge. Maintenance could've had a lot of RP by going to the CC and trying to fix it. Researchers could have RP by trying to reverse the effects of the specimens. Medical Researchers could've helped. 

• Gaminglight Love 1

It wouldn't allow me to put a link in here so you are stuck with this 

1 minute ago, PryingTree said:

This was very true. I was trying to protect my medical staff but I couldn't because I had an ACR against a zombie that had 4k health and claws that did 60 DMG (somethin like that). It felt more of an RDM event than anything, because there was no RP involved. No backstory was gave, no samples were taken of the zombies to try and reverse the effects and save them. They didn't even tell how they breached to my knowledge. Maintenance could've had a lot of RP by going to the CC and trying to fix it. Researchers could have RP by trying to reverse the effects of the specimens. Medical Researchers could've helped. 

yeah, ain't fun.