General Suggestion - Full working redesign of SCP 106, by me - Denied

Regr3tti

What are you suggesting? - Written in full below. Tl;dr: I created a new version of SCP 106 in Lua that is more true to the lore, and I think more fun, than the current version implemented here, and I'd like it to be considered for addition into the server. I'd love an admin to reach out so we can test it, I have tested extensively on my own, and only minor changes need to be made to have it work on the server. There are video links at the bottom of this post showing how some of the movement and passive abilities work. This was inspired by @Coltable's comment here on my proposed 106 rule change, I agree a redesign makes sense so I made it:

How would this change better the server? - Much better at providing players with an SCP 106 that is very similar to what's described in the lore, and better balanced than what we have now. Better for RP.

Are there any disadvantages of making this change to the server? If so, explain. - No, it's pretty lightweight, maybe 80 lines of code longer than what we have now.

Who would this change mostly benefit? - Absolutely everyone.

Please link any workshop content, screenshots, or anything that you think may be helpful to those who view this suggestion - They're linked at the bottom of this post.

Purpose & Motivation:

SCP 106 is my favorite SCP to play, in his current state he's a highly mobile and active hunter with his ability to teleport through walls and doors to cut off escaping prey, as well as his decent walk/run speed which (when combined with his teleport ability and the twists and turns of the Site) makes it extremely difficult - if not impossible - for prey to escape. The Old Man does have some drawbacks which I will expand on in the next section. Unfortunately I do not believe that his current implementation fits the lore as well as it could, player interactions are not balanced as he can catch up to any prey except in open space, and his kit is overly limited, so I have been working on an update to his abilities which I believe better fits the lore while offering a fun and balanced play style, which I will explain and demo in this post. First I will explain how his current implementation fits the lore, and then explain my implementation. While there's a lot of information in this post, to have a productive discussion about the direction of 106 I think it makes sense to get aligned on the lore and have that drive the features.

Reading through the lore of SCP 106, using revision 8 of this article and the other SCP 106 lore linked to in that article, I have broken out how SCP 106 should function into a few categories and characteristics.  I have includes those categories and characteristics below in a table, and marked whether or not the current implementation accounts for these functions or not (based on my opinion, of course). The intent of the change I'm proposing will not implement all characteristics, I'm not sure if it's possible due to complexity, and some compromises need to be made due to this being an SCP RP game. Out of the 13 characteristics below, only 2 are fully implemented, 5 partially implemented with either a technical restriction or RP rule, and the remaining 6 are not accounted for in either the Rules or by technical limitation.

Current Implementation to Lore Comparison:

I characterize the current playstyle that SCP 106 has as fitting the definition of "pursuit predation" in that he actively gives chase to prey, relying on speed and endurance (with his teleport ability). The play style that SCP 106 should have is that of an Ambush predator, stalking prey, waiting for them, quickly grabbing/killing/teleporting them to the pocket dimension, and then leaving. Per the Wiki entry for "Ambush Predator", "Unlike pursuit predators, who chase to capture prey using sheer speed or endurance, ambush predators avoid fatigue by staying in concealment, waiting patiently for the prey to get near, before launching a sudden overwhelming attack that quickly incapacitates and captures the prey." This better fits the lore of SCP 106, who usually waits in the shadows and then strikes, he isn't Freddie Krueger or Jason Vorhees. He's more of a Trapdoor Spider, than a Cheetah, although he certainly can "give chase" when needed by burrowing into walls to his pocket dimension and coming back out of the wall/ceiling/etc in a random spot you weren't expecting. After comparing the lore to the current server implementation, I will give an overview of the new SCP 106 implementation I'm proposing and compare their features, list SCP 106's features and determine the compliance with the lore, and finally I'll propose rules that should work with the new SCP 106.

Containment:

image.thumb.png.c890ca1068bba4551cc8f5e53a9545d0.png

Movement:

image.thumb.png.5b961146229d8e6a2bc863dbdb96fa31.png

Player Interactions:

image.thumb.png.84dee529640bffb2ad955e4599231393.png

Recontainment:

image.thumb.png.5983b0d4ff2f8e5b42bb0fd11fb7249e.png

That's it for the comparison of the current version to the lore. Now I'll compare the features in the current SCP 106 implementation to the one I've created.

So what does my version do and how does it compare? FEATURES:

Reminder: There are a couple video examples at the bottom of this post that are explained by this section.

image.thumb.png.2d12665c3a315dc704c4bfc32e4f9527.png

My Version compared to the lore:

My version of SCP 106 has a slightly higher skill floor, however it has a much higher skill ceiling for its playstyle. SCP 106 can also do what it has never done on here before, actually hang out in his pocket dimension and play with his food. Please note, all the cooldowns/etc are fully customizable and easy to balance if needed. Here's a comparison of my implementation with the lore:

Containment:

image.thumb.png.7212bdd9600ec497c605795d4f4a1949.png

Movement:

image.thumb.png.9d5c636f5e62fd65c3de3be5f5296fba.png

Player Interactions:

image.thumb.png.7f1da4faf4d7bbff702bf43598727192.png

Recontainment:

image.thumb.png.a7efe8415baf838500974b10c3e1bce2.png

Proposed Rule Changes:

I think one of the biggest issues with the rules and the current version of SCP 106, is you could spend upwards of 25 minutes trying to self breach and then you're brought back to containment with a femur breaker within 5-10 minutes, assuming you fail the roll against the admin who will generally TP you back to containment. That's a big time investment for potentially little reward, especially when it takes a few minutes just to get to the light containment zone (LCZ). I get it though, with the current hyper aggressive/quick version of SCP 106, you don't want him just doing circles around LCZ teleporting everyone away, that's not fun. I balance this by making SCP 106 slower, having to use cunning to trap prey. He won't be fast enough to run in circles around the LCZ before personnel can get to the HCZ to do the femur breaker.

If my SWEP is adopted, there will likely need to be further rule changes and tweaks (some rules just don't apply to this implementation), but generally here are the current rules that I would like changed to fit this new playstyle:

image.thumb.png.af093993669214f9fac01954c7d4fe96.png

Video Example of SCP 106's new movement:

Video Example of SCP 106's auto teleport and flashlight aversion:

Edited by Regr3tti
  • Gaminglight Love 2

• Regr3tti changed the title to General Suggestion - Full working redesign of SCP 106, by me

+Support for the SWEP if testing it goes fine (doesn’t cause lag or other issues)

-Support for 

20 minutes between femur (way too long)

research working to contain the SCP (researchers should only interact with SCPs they may test on, only RRH Analysts may freely test on 106. 
343 level health as all Euclid/keter SCPs should be containable through micros

Edited by Nydekore

Former: Deputy Head of Research | MTF Nu-7 Captain x2 | SCPRP Super Admin | MTF O-1 Major

+SUPPORT God damn I haven't such a complex suggestion in about a year, really complex and really cool looking, good for you man.

E11 1LT []FORMER CI MAJOR[]Former MTF OMICRON-9 CAPTAIN[]Former Janitorial Low Command[]Former E11 HCMD[Former overseer of D4,Former experimental, Former E4]
"The fuck is a ethics committee?"

51 minutes ago, Pills said:

+Support

holy shit this would be so nice

Current: CI Military Private, Junior Maintenance

Former: Nu-7 DHFTO 2LT, Delta-5 WO, Research Supervisor, RRH Analyst Alpha 19SCP-RP Event Team Member, SCP-RP Senior Moderator

Jetstream Sam Enthusiast | Gloveless Individual

VANNYMOMENT.png.4481adfe349d65456e27aeea992a4419.png

1 hour ago, Nydekore said:

+Support for the SWEP if testing it goes fine (doesn’t cause lag or other issues)

-Support for 

research working to contain the SCP (researchers should only interact with SCPs they may test on, only RRH Analysts may freely test on 106. 

• Like 1

| EX CI General | | Ex Lead Admin | 
| The best Fruit to exist |

4 hours ago, Pills said:

+Support

holy shit this would be so nice

• Like 1

SCP-RP | Maintenance Expert | HLPR Bot bT5 | Senior Researcher | Senior Event Team Member

Custom Classes | Umbrella Corporation Operative

"Pathos"

14 hours ago, Nydekore said:

-Support for 

• Like 1

Current: 

Former: | RRH Sierra 47 | | E11 LCPL | | MJ | | AR | | Gensec SM | | CI SFC | | CI IA | | M | | Nu7 DHFE Lieutenant Colonel | | HTF A4 Z Viper A4 | | AH1Z Viper |

SCP-RP: | Former staff: 6/18/21 -> 11/18/21| | Staff 2x 2/26/22 -> 10/28/22 | | Joined: Apr, 2021~ |

+Support

Love the effort & dedication in this suggestion, & I love the new SWEP. This was well thought out.

• Like 1

𝐒𝐂𝐏𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 - 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐨𝐬 𝐋𝐭. 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫
𝐈𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐑𝐏 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 | 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ₋ 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥

I love this idea and this seems very well done! i have one issue however

the Micro in lore scares and confuses 106 due to it being an electric beam. I think 1 or 2 shots from the ethereal should force 106 back to the pocket dimension like the flashlight idea. flashlight idea is cool but it might be too easy for people to escape from 106, though testing would be needed to see if thats an actual problem. If 106 is forced back into the pocket dimension after a successful femur he should be forced to go back to his CC nomatter how much longer he has on the clock.

+support lets wait for coltables attention

The God Gamer of the Shitpost Squadron    

On 6/14/2022 at 9:35 PM, Nydekore said:

-Support for 

this would be a HUGE buff to 106 so i would think that the SCP would need stricter self-breaching rules with it taking between 5-10 minutes longer for it to breach

Edited by 1stSavagerY

Nu-7 COL / SFTO / FE / TRT / BHM / RG / Head SCP-7101 / C0 FM HTF / SF Overseer / Iota-10 ("Damn Feds") / AFK / Solid Snake / SCP-RP Senior Moderator

21 minutes ago, 1stSavagerY said:

this would be a HUGE buff to 106 so i would think that the SCP would need stricter self-breaching rules with it taking between 5-10 minutes longer for it to breach

It already takes 20 minutes to breach with 4 warnings. You want it to take 30 minutes with 6 warnings?

Edited by SnarledBison

On 6/14/2022 at 9:35 PM, frog said:

+SUPPORT God damn I haven't such a complex suggestion in about a year, really complex and really cool looking, good for you man.

Former Ranks      Head Of Maintenance And Engineering                Senior Admin          Support Supervisor        Forum Diplomat        

Custom Classes     The Sniper (Owner)        XG56-Orion's Belt (Owner)        The Engineer        

On 6/14/2022 at 10:35 PM, Nydekore said:

-Support for 

Research Administrator | R.A.U. Commissioner | External Agent 3 "Oyasumi"

image.png.ef2fbf407892c884509d5e5c10e6fc2c.png

10 hours ago, SnarledBison said:

It already takes 20 minutes to breach with 4 warnings. You want it to take 30 minutes with 6 warnings?

considering the swep update will automatically teleport players in a certain radius of him and makes movement with him much easier and can move around the map pretty fast, yes.  like i said, a huge buff like this should be countered with something, whether that be decreasing hp by a ton to allow him to be taken out easily by the ethereal or increasing the self breach time.

Nu-7 COL / SFTO / FE / TRT / BHM / RG / Head SCP-7101 / C0 FM HTF / SF Overseer / Iota-10 ("Damn Feds") / AFK / Solid Snake / SCP-RP Senior Moderator

I feel this would need to be tweaked so that it would mesh well and I'm sure major input would be needed from each branch and admins to make this satisfactory for everyone. However I feel it is a really good suggestion and I do feel 106 can get stale very easily

+Support

1 hour ago, 1stSavagerY said:

considering the swep update will automatically teleport players in a certain radius of him and makes movement with him much easier and can move around the map pretty fast, yes.  like i said, a huge buff like this should be countered with something, whether that be decreasing hp by a ton to allow him to be taken out easily by the ethereal or increasing the self breach time.

He also moves considerably more slowly. As well 106 is already easily contained with a femur, all you gotta do is attempt to get a class d and if that fails just throw one of the many Nu7 in. Not only that but 682s breach time is 20 minutes and he is one of the most dangerous SCPs on site.