General Suggestion - Global Hitboxes - Denied

Catalyst

What are you suggesting?

Give every humanoid classes the exact same hitbox

How would this change better the server?

Combat on the server has been stale and stagnant for what seems like ages. Many make suggestions for weapon balancing and TTK changes, but nobody ever addresses the core problems of the current pvp systems. Adding global hitboxes, while a major change, is the first step to adding more inclusive and interactive combat to the server. Let's be honest, it's embarrassing how bad the combat mechanics are these days for such a high end server and an active player base. Exploitative movement and hitbox manipulation has plagued the community for long enough, and the worst part is, we are the only server that still has this problem. This change not only would compensate for latency and performance issues, it would also fix constant contemporary issues such as abusive hitboxes and constant lack of registration. Things can be balanced around combat being more consistent and reliable, rather than trying to make hundreds of band-aid fixes to weapon stats and other issues on the server.

Are there any disadvantages of making this change to the server? If so, explain.

Since there have been numerous counterpoints to this, i will be addressing as many as i can in this section.

>Giving every humanoid class the same hitbox is too much work

But the payoff is worth it. This isn't custom tailoring every single model to have a similar hitbox for the sake of balancing, This is just making everything exactly the same. The only hitboxes that would have to be individually altered is non humanoids. For something that would massively benefit and improve the server, effort is not an excuse.

>global hitboxes don't reward skill

SCPRP is a server with a constant massive player-count, many performance issues, and a ton of unnecessary bloatware on the content pack. To say that current GL combat is "skilled based" is a lame and laughable excuse, especially since the server wasn't created as a competitive pvp environment in the first place. Real skill comes from awareness and practice, and having someone be punished despite having these abilities because they were forced to fight someone with a smaller hitbox is just foolish. It isn't a "skill issue" as many people love to spam these days. It's a lack of consistency that doesn't accurately let players learn.

>Tanky classes should have bigger hitboxes

No class should be balanced around the size of the hitbox it has. Thinking that classes with large health pools should naturally have bigger hitboxes completely invalidates the point of having a tank class. If tank classes have massive hitboxes that just means that overall they are going to be taking much more damage. Additionally, there are already classes that have a much larger health pool than they should have comparative with their current hitbox (You know which ones i'm talking about)

>Global hitboxes aren't realistic

Nothing on this server is realistic. Make your choice; consistency, or realism.

>Global hitboxes makes models purely cosmetic 

That's the point, models should only be cosmetic. There are always constant arguments about "x model is broken, x model has no hitbox" and i think we are all sick of the echo chamber. People should choose models for branches and CCs based upon how they fit into the server, instead of simply choosing them based upon their hitbox. It would massively clear up many arguments about model hitboxes; There would literally be nothing to realistically complain about because everyone would already have the exact same hitbox advantage.

>There are too many models to change, especially with CC's

That is an issue that regards an unneeded amount of models on the server. If there are simply too many CC models to change then they shouldn't have allowed that many models in the first place. Before any point is made about "a major part of having a cc is your own model" there are already hundreds of unused models that could simply be removed and then requested later. They don't constantly add models to the content pack. It's just bloated due to a lack of cleaning out the damn thing once and a while.

Who would this change mostly benefit?

Everyone. This not only would effect branches globally, but would also massively improve the new player experience and encourage more people to stay rather than the current system that is inconsistent and frustrating. If we truly want the server to be more active, and if we want to reach higher goals, we need to have optimized combat that truly reflects the community that stands behind it.

Please link any workshop content, screenshots, or anything that you think may be helpful to those who view this suggestion

I will be editing and addressing any counter points that come along, so please have reason when  leaving -supports.

Edited by Catalyst
Counterpoint Addition

Massive + Support

It's so annoying that people focus more on finding the model with the most broken hitbox for their jobs. This would definitely solve the issue that a huge chunk of the server is experiencing.

Joined 09/30/2020
Retired 11/12/2022
Former Security SFC || Former MTF Omi9 MSGT || Former CI CPT/MAJ || Former Nu7 LTCOL/VCMDR || Former E11 CPL || Former Maintenance Professional || Former D5 CPT || Former Senior Medic || Former Advanced Researcher |

spacer.png

+support 

This is very well written, and the suggestion itself would benefit the server greatly. Yes, it would be a lot of work for Management, but it would be worth it.

Former Ranks      Head Of Maintenance And Engineering                Senior Admin          Support Supervisor        Forum Diplomat        

Custom Classes     The Sniper (Owner)        XG56-Orion's Belt (Owner)        The Engineer        

17 minutes ago, Loaff said:

+support 

This is very well written, and the suggestion itself would benefit the server greatly. Yes, it would be a lot of work for Management, but it would be worth it.

CI CMDR
CC: CI Requiem Squad XH-76
Biggest DMC Fan

27 minutes ago, Loaff said:

+support 

SCP-RP | Maintenance Expert | HLPR Bot bT5 | Senior Researcher | Senior Event Team Member

Custom Classes | Umbrella Corporation Operative

"Pathos"

42 minutes ago, Yato Sensei said:

Massive + Support

It's so annoying that people focus more on finding the model with the most broken hitbox for their jobs. This would definitely solve the issue that a huge chunk of the server is experiencing.

W̵̠̽O̶̤̐̎͠R̷̨̯͇̘̓̓̐̚Ķ̶̨͙̌͗͋̐ ̷͎̻͈͘H̵̦̝̅́͝Ä̶̱̽R̷̔͊̀͜͠D̷̲̠̱͛͘ ̵̹̞͖͍̽͂Í̶̛̠́̎ͅÑ̶̟͈ ̸̭̖̋̀S̸̞̯͔̈́̍̈̽͜I̵̞̹̓͌̈́Ḹ̴͕̤̠̃Ë̶̘́͑Ṋ̵̰̞̀̏̄́C̸̼̱̏̑Ě̸͕̕͝

̸͚͊͐͘Á̵̩̂̃N̶̩̦̈́Ḑ̷̲̣͐͐ ̷̨̣͇̄L̴̢̳̰̀̃E̸̙͗̏̕T̵̜́͛̿ ̴̝̯̠̐̇́S̸̠̣͋̆U̶̳̖̹̐C̶͙̩̽C̶̩̻̍̕E̷͈͖̓̈S̴͖͎̆͒͆͜S̸̥̞̗̠̀͌ ̶̫̩̬͂͛͝M̵͇̗͙͗͝͝A̶̛̬̦̾̿K̴̨̙̍ͅͅE̴̠͇̮͐͗́ ̵̳̲̅͑͝T̴͙͙̀̈́ͅH̶̢̎͛̈́̿E̴͈͖̹̔̂͝ ̴̹̯͓̂̈́N̶̦͌͒̔̎Ȍ̸̘͝I̴̭̠̅ͅS̸̭̼͋̕Ë̵́

A̵̙̥̭̠̓̅̎͘͝ͅ1̵̢̙̲̰̦̞͆͊ ̴̝̏́͑͂͝N̴̨͊̍o̸̖̦̬̅̑̇̍͠m̶̖̃a̸͉̤̜̪̘͑͌͝ḑ̶̘̣̬͇̈́ ̵͈̤̪͇̉͋̓̾Ỉ̴͓͔͍̻͖͕́͆͂̕͝  /  Ş̵̧̛͙̙̼̌́͑̐͠T̶̢͔̫̿̓̿̅F̷̟̗̅̄̚ͅ ̷̝̈́̏̀̾̔̑D̸̰̓̾͌͝͝4̵̠̼̓̅̆͝͠ ̷̭̺͎̇H̸͚͖͇̃̀̋͘a̷̛͎͉̦̦̐̽́̑d̷̨͖͋e̵͍͒͆ś̵͈̪͓̞ ̸̣͉̄Ḍ̸̓I̶̩͖̖̟̯͒3̵̨̡̩͇̏̏

32 minutes ago, Loaff said:

+support 

Uh I don't think hand remaking every model on the server is worth it. Not even in the slightest, it's not just something you can copy and paste. Unless you own the models or made them.

-Support 

SCP-RP - Former: Moderator/ETSecurity SFTO SM, Research Researcher, MTF Alpha-1 Sgt, MTF Alpha-1 "Alpha-6", Noob-7 CplD5 RCT, R&D SIN, T-2 Blackjack, HFR, DHBI and E-11 DoFTO HCE SM | Current: CI Military DHLS SFTO SM 

Imperial-RP - Former - ModeratorRoyal Guard Senior Guard, Shadow Guard Lead, Stormtrooper 2LT, 501st MSG

2 hours ago, Yato Sensei said:

Massive + Support

after this yall cant complain about raptors, i just wanna run fast without being verbally abused by ci 💀

Current: CI Military Private, Junior Maintenance

Former: Nu-7 DHFTO 2LT, Delta-5 WO, Research Supervisor, RRH Analyst Alpha 19SCP-RP Event Team Member, SCP-RP Senior Moderator

Jetstream Sam Enthusiast | Gloveless Individual

VANNYMOMENT.png.4481adfe349d65456e27aeea992a4419.png

2 hours ago, Yato Sensei said:

Massive + Support

RIP the farmers if this gets added

+Support

Realism is unimportant, models should be aesthetic. I am also tired of people trying to get bullshit models on CCs for the sake of tiny hitboxes 

Former: Deputy Head of Research | MTF Nu-7 Captain x2 | SCPRP Super Admin | MTF O-1 Major

4 minutes ago, Nydekore said:

+Support

Realism is unimportant, models should be aesthetic. I am also tired of people trying to get bullshit models on CCs for the sake of tiny hitboxes 

Dont you always talk about stricter and serious rp....

3 hours ago, Catalyst said:

>Giving every humanoid class the same hitbox is too much work

SMT isnt going to spend this much effort if a chunk of the community doesnt want it, especially a big change like this
-support

Free Melly Free TayK Free Fetty Wap Free Pooh Shiesty
Current Rank/s: none dumbass
Former Ranks: E11 2LT, CI SM, RND SVA, Gen-Sec MSGT, Nu7 SGT, RRH Guardians

5 minutes ago, LilThinMints said:
11 minutes ago, Nydekore said:

Dont you always talk about stricter and serious rp....

Realism in combat /= RP

Edited by Nydekore

Former: Deputy Head of Research | MTF Nu-7 Captain x2 | SCPRP Super Admin | MTF O-1 Major

5 hours ago, Some Weeb said:

Uh I don't think hand remaking every model on the server is worth it. Not even in the slightest, it's not just something you can copy and paste. Unless you own the models or made them.

It's actually not as hard as it looks. you can copy the hitbox numbers from one model and transfer them to the next, but the issue is it's time consuming for the amount of models we have currently.

image.thumb.png.e085f02f4195ec5b78e49180d225e260.png

United States Reserve General / Retired 1944 US GOA 

Rho 36 CO Occult Operative/ MTF Epsilon Eleven Commander Danny

Disappointed Chris Farley GIF 

6 hours ago, Catalyst said:

Give every humanoid classes the exact same hitbox

If you can come up with a solution to set global hitboxes for not just the models on the server but also all future models and If you can somehow condense MONTHS & MONTHS of work within less then a week then this suggestion is worth some attention but as it stands your expecting myself and Jayden to sit down for the majority of our summer going through GB's of models reworking model hitboxes (which by the way is not a skill either of us know of).

I understand what your trying to suggest within this suggestion but it is a ridiculous notion that it is a easy or a somewhat challenging fix, It is an enormous fix one which would take a team of developers working together managing the work load, something we here do not have the luxury of, And on top of it all the suggestion that we would need to continue to rework all future models added to the server is again an insane request, we do not have weeks and weeks of our time which we can just throw away working around the cloak on a project of this scale. 

TLDR: If we had a big enough team of developers working around the cloak over the course of a few months sure, but seeing as its just myself and Jayden, two teens living our lives working IRL on top of the workload of the server its a clear no. We simply do not have the time nor the future development work rate to keep up with such a request.  

35 minutes ago, Coltable said:

If you can come up with a solution to set global hitboxes for not just the models on the server but also all future models and If you can somehow condense MONTHS & MONTHS of work within less then a week then this suggestion is worth some attention but as it stands your expecting myself and Jayden to sit down for the majority of our summer going through GB's of models reworking model hitboxes (which by the way is not a skill either of us know of).

I understand what your trying to suggest within this suggestion but it is a ridiculous notion that it is a easy or a somewhat challenging fix, It is an enormous fix one which would take a team of developers working together managing the work load, something we here do not have the luxury of, And on top of it all the suggestion that we would need to continue to rework all future models added to the server is again an insane request, we do not have weeks and weeks of our time which we can just throw away working around the cloak on a project of this scale. 

TLDR: If we had a big enough team of developers working around the cloak over the course of a few months sure, but seeing as its just myself and Jayden, two teens living our lives working IRL on top of the workload of the server its a clear no. We simply do not have the time nor the future development work rate to keep up with such a request.  

Coltable you forgot about your button, its the one labeled, TURN ON GLOBAL HITBOXES, its right next to the BALANCE GUNS, and the NERF THE GOLF CLUB buttons.

• Laughing 1

Ranks: Security SM Greg | RRH Guardian Whiskey 11

Security Logo Designer | Premiere Club | #FreeMe 

4 hours ago, Coltable said:

Would it be possible to set a rule for new CC's then? Or possibly check them over before adding. 

• Laughing 1

spacer.pngI keep a stiff upper lip and I shoot, shoot, shoot from the hip I got a stiff upper lip, come on baby.                                   

Retired Nu7 Captain/Maintenance OM

46 minutes ago, Vuitheirt said:

Would it be possible to set a rule for new CC's then? Or possibly check them over before adding. 

I''d rather be violated by Herbert the pervert. 

• Laughing 1

SCP-RP - Former: Moderator/ETSecurity SFTO SM, Research Researcher, MTF Alpha-1 Sgt, MTF Alpha-1 "Alpha-6", Noob-7 CplD5 RCT, R&D SIN, T-2 Blackjack, HFR, DHBI and E-11 DoFTO HCE SM | Current: CI Military DHLS SFTO SM 

Imperial-RP - Former - ModeratorRoyal Guard Senior Guard, Shadow Guard Lead, Stormtrooper 2LT, 501st MSG

12 hours ago, Vuitheirt said:

The best we could do is set a rule going forward... but seeing as we have already said yes and for idk maybe 3 years worth of cc models it would be extremely messed up for myself as a manager to go around picking on year old cc's forcing them to change their models.