Server Suggestion - Limited Building [Denied]

Maury

What do you want to see?: In a nutshell, the idea is to create a rank in-game that gives certain players limited physgun/toolgun/noclip/spawnmenu permissions. A "Builder" or "GM Helper" rank.

Why should we add it?: Giving players limited building perms would allow GM's more time to focus on creating builds/dupes for on-and-off-map events. This would also allow experienced players the opportunity to create dupes for their regiments and the server in general.

• Allows officers to create/share their own dupes.
  • Player-made dupes can be uploaded to the workshop for the GM team to approve/disapprove for use in-game.
  • Players won't necessarily have to rely on GM's to build their dupes for them, i.e. less 'put this here' and 'put that there' monotony.

What are the advantages of having this?: By and large, limited building would allow for non-staff and non-gamemakers the opportunity to dedicate more time and effort into crafting fun and enticing simulations for their regiments. As there is no way to access the map in a singleplayer instance of GMod, it can be difficult for players to convey an idea without the direct assistance of a GM.

• Allows officers more freedom/creativity with their sims.
  • Smaller workload for GM's with larger quotas.
  • Potential for non-GM players to volunteer their time to helping GM's build events.
  • Better sims = better activity, better activity = happy staff, happy staff = happy players

Who is it mainly for?: Ideally for officers who want to make/share/paste dupes to create sims for their regiment, however a more inclusive route would be to make it a case-to-case selection via applications or interviews such as ones conducted for GM selections.

Links to any content: n/a

Gamemaster

Purge Vice Commander | Brawler-Division Overseer

1 minute ago, king3pic9702 said:

I think this would require a whole new set of training guidelines and should not be handed out without very careful consideration from the higher ups

110%. Realistically speaking, however, only players experienced in building with GMod mechanics would really need it. Players could be given basic GM training for server guidelines and whatnot, but use of these perms would be limited only to building in areas where sims are permitted.

Gamemaster

Purge Vice Commander | Brawler-Division Overseer

That's why it needs to be trusted players with a decent enough rank. I would love to see this implemented. While GM training is already on, the officers who have been here for a good while should be able to have a small limited role for GM. For Sims, Training, and what they need. It would create alot of free up from Gm's to do server wide events. Even possibly make multi campaigns again. 

Off world sever events that last for 1-2 days. Hell I miss that. I am, fully on board with an official Gm helper Role.  This could be triumphant! This could also be good training for anyone who wants to be a GameMaster. They would need to be knowledgeable in Gmod Mechanics tho. If not they could be taught to a certain degree. This could be a stepping stone for future Gm's. Just  my 2 cents

• Like 1

spacer.png
[Lord VI] [Purge HVYAL 2LT] [ISB:IA JO]

This Idea could work as I have seen some other popular server incorporate this while still incorporating it into roleplay. How they did it (Which we could model it somewhat off of) Is that they a set of ranks for there Builders.. (Engineers) "J ENG" "ENG" "SE ENG" "C ENG". And these people who are the dedicated (Engineers) have to go through Training from a Chief Engineer and have to do normal RP with Junior Engineer such as /me's and Basic stuff. Before getting promoted to Engineer which then inturns allows them to ask Staff to set there ULX rank to ENG. This gives them building privilege's to certain props so that they can build temporary fortifications and vehicles and all that.

While this could work for our Server, I do not think that SMT would consider this due to the amount of time it would take to whitelist each prop for a ULX rank and all that. Along with I do not think that they would trust a Officer. Who aren't in staff with a ULX rank with this privilege

While this is a great Idea I just dont think it would work on our Server at the moment.. But may in the future. Although this is a really great Idea and if it does get implemented it would be really cool to see it play out on the server! 

(Good suggestion :classic_smile:)

Former: Darth Vader

Former: Super Administrator | Forum Diplomat | Support Advisor

• Manager

DENIED

Unfortunately, we do not feel that this suggestion is suitable for implementation.

However, we do appreciate your attitude towards trying to help us improve, please feel free to show us some more ideas!

*SMT reserves the right to reverse this decision at any time, even after the suggested contents addition to the server*