When can I break out of cuffs?

Cool Doc

I've debated with security guards about this issue, everyone seems to have a different stance on it so I want to see the opinion of forum members.

The question:

If, as a class-d, you have:

• Been cuffed for more than 5 minutes
  • Are not under FearRP (less than 3 heavy weapons pointing at you)

can you break out of your cuffs?

This argument has gone many ways, and being a returning player, I'm not too sure of the current interpretation.

The  rules formally state "If cuffed, you are prohibited from breaking out of the handcuffs until five minutes have passed since being cuffed, or if left alone and unattended by Foundation/CI personnel."

This statement seems to support the argument that you can break out after the 5 minute timer.

However some guards follow another rule as counteracting this: "When cuffed you are required to comply with the individual that has cuffed you"

This is interpreted as meaning "you are always under fearRP whenever you are cuffed". This is where debate happens, does "comply" only apply to physical actions such as moving, or jumping off a ledge? Or does it also encompass guards being able to "force" you into not braking out?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

So, as you stated with the rule, someone can only break out after either 5 minutes have passed or you have been left alone.

As for the compliance, being cuffed is similar to being FearRP'd you must listen to orders given to you. 
But like FearRP, there are somethings that they cannot force you to not do, in FearRP's case it's taking cyanide. For being cuffed, after five minutes, you no longer have to comply and are free to try and break out.

Note: You will most likely be shot after breaking out

P.S. This is my interpretation of the rules and from what I've learned of them over my year on the server, I could be wrong on some things. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Current: None

Former: Security Sergeant Major (and SFC), Director of Logistics, Alpha-1 Private First Class, CI Mil Private First Class (and E4 C6), Nu7 Lance Corporal, CI RnD Supervisory Agent (and EOI F3) 

The word "or" is being tossed around, and that's where he is confused and I fully agree to the confusion. Basically the statement as is, says that you can break out after 5 mins. It doesn't state you ALSO have to be alone. That's why using "or" is so confusing because only one of the two conditions have to be met. So technically, per MOTD, you can break out the instant you are left alone. If you have been cuffed for 5 minutes, you can break out. Regardless of being accompanied. 

However, this isn't correct as you will get in trouble. You have to have been alone, AND 5 minutes must have elapsed before you can breakout without consequences. 

Also, breaking out with people around is 100% pointless because they can just FearRP you again then cuff, restarting the timer. This is why people say "you're always under fearRP when cuffed."

Basically, the rule needs to get re-written, or everyone needs a wake up call that the rule has not been being followed as intended. 

TL;DR SMT should clear this up.

• Like 1

CI CMDR / CA

lolrip_2_75.png.dc1d08f4d907c816d920de2b5132ac58.png

19 minutes ago, [GL] Fizz-y Soda said:

Also, breaking out with people around is 100% pointless because they can just FearRP you again then cuff, restarting the timer. This is why people say "you're always under fearRP when cuffed."

Not always, some MTF choose to only go in pairs of two, strictly following MOTD, I can wait 5 minutes (which is usually how long it takes to get to HCZ) and then break out. Since there are only 2 of them, I just ignore them (you need 3 heavy weapons to fearRP a class-d). At that point they call admin and the admin decides based on their opinion (I have done this many times and the outcome is random). I always follow the Admin's decision on the rules but I hope my constant annoyance brings some form of change.

15 minutes ago, [GL] Fizz-y Soda said:

However, this isn't correct as you will get in trouble. You have to have been alone, AND 5 minutes must have elapsed before you can breakout without consequences.

Basically, the rule needs to get re-written, or everyone needs a wake up call that the rule has not been being followed as intended. 

Pretty much exactly what I'm trying to get to with this post. I have seen many people warned, despite following the MOTD. Most people accept that the MOTD is outdated, I find it pretty stupid that people just "accept" that there is no up to date set of rules. 

• Like 1

• ICE locked this topic