Should Discord be used over TS3?- Denied

Its Buck

This has always been a big topic that I have heard a lot of. 

When joining anything (Regiment/Branch/Battalion) amongst any of our servers TeamSpeak client 3 (TS3) is required for them. I feel it pushes people away from our servers when they hear the words “TeamSpeak is required to join” or the question of “do you have TeamSpeak” is asked/said. 
TeamSpeak is our main source of communications for the servers with it being used for all staff affairs and in game communication.

However Discord offers the same features as TS3. it is also a lot more convenient for a lot of people, especially new players that are either joining a Gmod RP server for the first time or a Serious person who really just does not like TeamSpeak. 
discord also offers the same features as TS3 with being able to move people as needed, Giving tags allowing people to do certain things, and keeping password protected channels to those who contain the correct tags, it also contains the ability to implement talk power. It also allows more options such as force mute.

I personally can’t see any flaws with using discord over TeamSpeak. It has the potential to keep new players in the server and active. It would also set us apart from a lot of other servers.

We even have the voice channels inside of the discord’s. Which leads the question why should we even use TeamSpeak? 

I would like to hear other people’s input as to if they would prefer making the change to discord over TS3

this may have been suggested before but hey, let’s see how this goes. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 9

RETIRED

SCP-RP:Delta-5 CPT | Deputy Head G9| Medical DHFW Doctor. | E11 1LT | Head Ranger | D4 Vanguard FF5 | RnD EOI V3 Canibal

ImperialRP: MC 1LT Bacon 3817 |  DT SGT FF5

-Support
Teamspeak is way more easy to use than Discord as Teamspeak provides multimoving (Moving more than one person at a time)
Also Teamspeak is easier to manage as it is less laggy to use when playing Garry's Mod as you know Garry's Mod is not a very well optimized game
also Discord does not provide the finder tool where you can put in a name to see what channel someone is in
Discord also likes to bug out from time to time
If people don't want to use or download Teamspeak then they are usually on the server just to minge
Teamspeak also has so much more features that Discord doesn't have so no

All in all Teamspeak is a more viable application to use

• Like 3

🧊ICE🧊

"Won't let go, I'm the type to show you that you're too special, Please don't be the type to hate the things I do, And I'll ride for you, and I'll die for you!" - Juice WRLD

-Support

There is a reason we use teamspeak instead of discord. First off discord is a lot more laggy then ts3 and can make some people’s game crash as discord take between 0.5 to 1.5 gigs of ram to run. Discord is also missing a lot of features that we need. Every single locked channel would need to have a tag made to be able to get into them. The amount of time it would take to make all these new channels would be way too large to replace a system that work fine and that is better. TS3 also lets us control a lot more stuff with permission, pokes, and a bunch more. Not to mention Support would need to adapt to a new way of doing their job which might mean they would need new training.

TLDR: Discord has some missing features that we need. It would take way too much time to switch when TS3 works fine.

• Like 1

PoliceRP Ex CERT Commander 〗〖 Last Dispatch Director 
ImperialRP Ex Second Sister 〗〖 Ex Seventh Sister 
Staff Ex PoliceRP Senior Admin 〗〖 Ex PoliceRP Senior Event Team 〗〖 Ex Senior Forums Diplomat 〗〖 Ex Support Supervisor 

7 hours ago, th3 said:

Discord lacks the customization and support Teamspeak provides.

Couldn't agree more! Teamspeak is used by a lot of Garry's Mod servers as well, and allows for better communication.

𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐌𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐓𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧 | 𝐒𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐫 𝐀𝐝𝐦𝐢𝐧 | 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐮𝐦 𝐃𝐢𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐭 | 𝐒𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐫 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐟𝐟

-Support

I come from another server community that utilized TS3 like how we do. TS3 has had it's minor issues, but it's most likely not even TS3, it's the server or my own connection. Back to what I was saying, the server switched from TS3 to Discord. I didn't like this. The thing that is my biggest problem with Discord, is that there is no master category, meaning as in if you click it, it doesn't display sub groups that can list more. This is something that's better shown than said, but Gaminglight uses this, and this is extremely useful to just sort through to get to other server sections easier. I don't think Discord will really benefit from what we currently have, so huge no from me.

Player on SCP RP and Imperial RP.

-Support
TS3 is easy to install and use, This is not needed to put it simply.

[SCP RP] Former Research Administrator | Research Field Agent | Chair Professor of RRA - Former RRH Analyst 'November 1' -- MTF Nu7 Second Lieutenant  Senior Event Team Member - Former Admin
1738.png.2860d6d83ce908d8cece340a33865cfb.png

On 4/9/2021 at 12:12 AM, ICE said:

-Support
Teamspeak is way more easy to use than Discord as Teamspeak provides multimoving (Moving more than one person at a time)
Also Teamspeak is easier to manage as it is less laggy to use when playing Garry's Mod as you know Garry's Mod is not a very well optimized game
also Discord does not provide the finder tool where you can put in a name to see what channel someone is in
If people don't want to use or download Teamspeak then they are usually on the server just to minge

Agreed

POLICE RP STAFF/EVENT TEAM | PD SM | SWAT PFC | SYP COMMAND |

Happy Dance GIF by Joey Bada$$

-support

Discord cannot support hundreds of people in call's, Teamspeak can

The UI might look a bit eye appealing but Teamspeak is just better.

State Command | State Head FTO

SPRT Command

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela

-SUPPORT

Discord is less optimized and probably wouldn't work as good as presumed

TS is already heavily integrated into our servers. Although needing TS may push people away, if people genuinely want to play our servers they can get it no issue.

TS allows for people to have more control over their channels, description, password, moving people, etc. 

Overall TS is our best bet for communication. Many successful gmod servers use TS and I think moving to discord fully would kinda mess up quite alot

Former USMS DMAR || CC Owner || Bingus 4 life 

On 4/9/2021 at 3:12 AM, ICE said:

-Support

PD SM | SWAT LT | SL Consigliere 

MLG Pro Negev player 

#buffthenegev2023

rfawfa.png.7b7c7a61861c5b4a13bf66567ce2fb82.png

+SUPPORT

It is far more appealing to new players to use Discord instead of TeamSpeak as a lot of new players find TeamSpeak confusing, difficult to learn, unpleasant to look at, and an overall pain.

-SUPPORT

For the reasons everyone else stated, TeamSpeak is easy to use when you get used to it, on top of this most servers use TeamSpeak anyways so it's not like using TeamSpeak is something new.

First off the dislikes hurt me tho. 

Secondly I am seeing a lot of people saying that there are some features TS has to offer that discord doesn’t. One of the ones I’m seeing is channel access and passwords 

And yes while I agree with what most of you are saying it raises the question as to why do we have the designated channels already in our discord?  We have the designated VC in discord’s but don’t use them? I don’t know why that is, as for support we also have our ticket system and can easily add a channel for Support. We have the tags needed it’s just a matter of making the channels. And I can see that. This is a rather unpopular opinion but i do feel like this could be beneficial in some way, whether it be a gradual change or no change 

RETIRED

SCP-RP:Delta-5 CPT | Deputy Head G9| Medical DHFW Doctor. | E11 1LT | Head Ranger | D4 Vanguard FF5 | RnD EOI V3 Canibal

ImperialRP: MC 1LT Bacon 3817 |  DT SGT FF5

On 4/9/2021 at 2:12 AM, ICE said:

-Support

Retired: Nu7 SM Zarl/Head Of Medical Staff Zack/Medic Man Larry/HTF Head

;-;

On 4/9/2021 at 3:12 AM, ICE said:

-Support

Current Police RP Positions   

• C.E.R.T Co-Commander | 1K33
  • Umbrella Corp | LVL 1

Prior Police RP Positions
  • Retired | Reserve Police Assistant Chief | 1K-9
  • Former | Trooper Major | 1H03
  • Former | C.E.R.T Team Leader x2 | 1TL03
  • Former | Reserve SPMU Head Patrolman | 1HP01
  • Former | Reserve DOC Warden | 1CW33
  • Former | Reserve RRU Director | 8701
  • Former | Reserve EMS Deputy Chief | 8603
  • Former | SCU Co-CMDR | 1K33
  • Former | Secret Service SAIC | XR03
  • Former | UMC Paramilitary | LVL 4  

• Signed, Ajax Reyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Closed

We have had this suggested many times over the years. The normal consensus among management has been that Discord works better as an updated announcement and support platform. It's voice quality and support for a large number of users at once in voice channels does not compare to the quality TeamSpeak offers. I understand that discord is newer and flashier, but we have used teamspeak for voice communication since the very beginning.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Lead Account Manager

Backend Operations | Custom  Jobs | Proud Member since 2017

Denied

First of all, I would like to thank you for your suggestion! Our community truly runs off of suggestions and it is much appreciated. For the reasons stated above this suggestion has been denied because we do not believe that it will benefit the community or can have foreseeable related issues. 

Lead Account Manager

Backend Operations | Custom  Jobs | Proud Member since 2017