Suggestion For Staff Age Requirement - Denied

JackOG

What you want to see? -  I want to see a requirement of at least 12/13+ to be able to apply for staff on the server (this can be lowered or raised depending on the outcome of this suggestions)

Why should we add it? - There are a multitude of reasons for adding this. Those being that accepting young people as staff, and them being promoted to higher ranks without them being matured or at least starting to mature can lead to multiple problems staffing on the server and for the player base. According to a credited article regarding brain development in children at age 12 does your brain start to use the prefrontal cortex, the decision making part of the brain, instead of the amygdala, the part of the brain responsible for the "fight or flight" emotional responses. This can affect staffing as a young person because when your mind has not fully developed or has not developed your mind using the prefrontal cortex for critical thinking/emotion responses it can lead to young staff members taking offense to certain things that will lead them to giving a harsher punishment, or letting their power ride to their head and issuing a severe punishment when it reality it should have been a lighter, more lenient punishment. I have had many experiences with younger kids that let their power override what the right thing to do is. Kids of this age act out of emotion more than actually critically thinking about the situation. I have had experiences with someone like Springs, while not trying to disrespect him, it is obvious that he is not fully matured. I have had to deal with him killing me while he was on staff, after telling him many times that I had weapons and was not trying to mess around with him. This happened a decent while ago and I still see younger staff members constantly messing around on staff, representing the staff team negatively. While younger minds are incapable of intensive critical thinking without letting emotion take control of their responses, thanks to the amygdala, they are unable to make fully credible and accurate staff decisions resulting in either a punishment taken too far, being bias towards a friend, targeting another member of the community because of something they might have said in the past or maybe the staff member just dislikes them. Most staff members that are mature and understand the responsibilities of staff and are capable of critical thinking without letting their amygdala influence the process make good staff members. Examples: Eternity, Mikey, Jimmy James, etc. These people make great staff members and while their personalities are great they also are fully capable of mature, critical thinking. While I see people like Masterson, constantly being called in OOC for things they said or did, while its not enough for a actual report, it still makes the staff team, and the community look incompetent.

While a prime argument for this is the fact that none of our minds are really fully matured, unless you are 25+. While that is credible and can be said, our minds have matured for some years past the starting point (around 11-12 your mind starts to develop the critical thinking process using the prefrontal cortex rather than the amygdala), enough to allow us to use our prefrontal cortex more so for critical thinking and intensive staff situations without letting our amygdala hijack or brains response. Many of these younger people can say that they are matured, but they cant control what portion of the brain decides on important decision making.

What I said here can be credited and sited from sources such as AACAP, TheLoop, Rochester.edu, and many more sites.

What are the advantages of having this? - The advantages is being able to create and maintain a fully mature staff team, allowing the community to be better represented. Allows for better sits, and overall a better experience for players. Less bias in the staff team and more well-thought punishments based on facts and circumstance, rather than emotional feelings taking control of their critical thinking. (Matured/Semi-Matured minds use the prefrontal cortex more than the amygdala).

Who is it mainly for? -

Links to any content -  https://www.theloop.ca/12-year-old-boys-are-the-worst-science-says-so/https://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/FFF-Guide/The-Teen-Brain-Behavior-Problem-Solving-and-Decision-Making-095.aspx

I see where you're coming from, but you shouldn't deny someone of an opportunity because of age, sex, race , gender or nationality.  even if there not mature they should still be given the opportunity. If they fail to uphold the responsibilities of staff there will just be punished.

sorry but -support 

Edited by Max Holland

• Head Admin
33 minutes ago, JackOG said:

I dont think I mentioned anything about race, gender, race, or nationally

Point is, everyone deserves a shot at being staff, that's why we have the application process and the probationary Trial Moderator period.

-Support

Forklift_Signature.png

• Now, I am going to give you a lengthy response here, as you have put effort and time into this, so should I...

To start off, I disagree with you, I say this because it has been mentioned before and denied. So, it is most likely going to get denied again. As for the age restriction, I understand where you are coming from, as a younger person's view or understanding can be limited or blocked. But, the same could go for anyone, including teenagers, adults, and so on. People are human (obviously) and nothing can change that, we all have our own opinions and things are here and done for a reason. But, an adult or whoever can act the same as a child, or someone lower than any age requirement. My overall point is, no matter who the person is, age, race, religion, etc. their views can be blocked and this age restriction you would want to put into place would not only ruin the freedom we have on the server but opportunities and experiences for everyone. That is why the community, along with JMT/SMT discuss staff applications and promotions and so on. Now, the reason that age, race, religion, gender, etc. were brought into this is that they all fall into the same category of 'restrictions or laws', whatever you want to call it. Like Will and Max have stated, they are given a Trial Period for a reason to see if they can deal with the pressure and responsibilities of being a staff member on any Gaminglight server. Everyone deserves a shot, and in the Sangu Mandanna, "If you expect the worse, you're only denying someone a chance to be better”. 

Other reasoning above as well, if you have any questions, please contact me through the Forums, Discord, TeamSpeak, etc.

- Support

I want to add on to my statement by the way about adults or people who are farther advanced in age that still act like kids - 

The experience that staffing gives, does change many people for the better and helps them improve multiple aspects like:

• Professionalism
  • Maturity
  • Owning Up to decisions
  • Taking Responsibility
  • The building of Critical thinking and decision making. 

Also, I do not appreciate you going after members of the staff team in this report as it, too me, seems 'targetted' towards them.

The people you talk about in this report, Springs(Senior Moderator), Masterson (Senior Admin), Eternity (Senior Admin), Mikey(Super Admin), Jimmy James (Moderator).

Many people mature and develop differently, and while some of them have matured more than others, it is because they are still learning and become better people, hence why Puberty and Phsyocogic and Mental Developments happen every single day because we are human. If you actually look at what happens in the world, nowadays, the minds take in more information than ever and help with the development process.

The final thing, as I keep coming back to this suggestion, this is a video game. It isn't a driver's test or an application into a High-School or the next Presidental Candidate. It is a video game, where people are meant to have fun, and when you become staff, you are held to a higher standard to maintain maturity and too also learn. Obviously, if people did not believe in Masterson, Springs, etc. then they would not be where they are today. 

Also, bias happens over jealousy, which is a clear factor of all age groups, along with maturity, professionalism, responsibility, and so on...

Do not make me go into Roleplay ranks for this as-well.

Edited by Ender
Grammar Edits
  • Like 2

Ender | Former SWAT Lieutenant | Senior Low Command | SWAT FTO | Previous PoliceRP Administrator 

COL Will 1L52 to admins: Max, you ain't going to scare them, you are on a female model and stuttering...

"So what're you doing?" - @SWAT LT Ender 22-D "Putting my clothes back on". - @SWAT SFC Nao 27-D

"There's a fine line between right and wrong. And somewhere, in the shadows, they've sent us to find it."

+/- Support

Kids have a tendency to be very impulsive and can make bad decisions. This effect can me massively amplified when on staff due to the power they are given which can lead to scenarios that are bad such as staff abuse. It also doesn't help that you are exposing those that are still in critical social development stages to the worst of the community that is met while in sits, such as those that are excessively toxic. But denying someone a staff position solely on age shouldn't be a rule due to some kids being more mature than others. Those that are at this range should be observed and judgement be made on their actions, not their age.

Was Nu7 2LT

Shot Once

Was a Nu7 MSGT

also was a CI Captain once

31 minutes ago, Ender said:
  • Now, I am going to give you a lengthy response here, as you have put effort and time into this, so should I...

To start off, I disagree with you, I say this because it has been mentioned before and denied. So, it is most likely going to get denied again. As for the age restriction, I understand where you are coming from, as a younger person's view or understanding can be limited or blocked. But, the same could go for anyone, including teenagers, adults, and so on. People are human (obviously) and nothing can change that, we all have our own opinions and things are here and done for a reason. But, an adult or whoever can act the same as a child, or someone lower than any age requirement. My overall point is, no matter who the person is, age, race, religion, etc. their views can be blocked and this age restriction you would want to put into place would not only ruin the freedom we have on the server but opportunities and experiences for everyone. That is why the community, along with JMT/SMT discuss staff applications and promotions and so on. Now, the reason that age, race, religion, gender, etc. were brought into this is that they all fall into the same category of 'restrictions or laws', whatever you want to call it. Like Will and Max have stated, they are given a Trial Period for a reason to see if they can deal with the pressure and responsibilities of being a staff member on any Gaminglight server. Everyone deserves a shot, and in the Sangu Mandanna, "If you expect the worse, you're only denying someone a chance to be better”. 

Other reasoning above as well, if you have any questions, please contact me through the Forums, Discord, TeamSpeak, etc.

- Support

I want to add on to my statement by the way about adults or people who are farther advanced in age that still act like kids - 

The experience that staffing gives, does change many people for the better and helps them improve multiple aspects like:

• Professionalism
  • Maturity
  • Owning Up to decisions
  • Taking Responsibility

Also, I do not appreciate you going after members of the staff team in this report as it, too me, seems 'targetted' towards them.

The people you talk about in this report, Springs(Senior Moderator), Masterson (Senior Admin), Eternity (Senior Admin), Mikey(Super Admin), Jimmy James (Moderator).

Many people mature and develop differently, and while some of them have matured more than others, it is because they are still learning and become better people, hence why Puberty and Phsyocogic and Mental Developments happen every single day because we are human. If you actually look at what happens in the world, nowadays, the minds take in more information than ever and help with the development process.

The final thing, as I keep coming back to this suggestion, this is a video game. It isn't a driver's test or an application into a High-School or the next Presidental Candidate. It is a video game, where people are meant to have fun, and when you become staff, you are held to a higher standard to maintain maturity and too also learn. Obviously, if people did not believe in Masterson, Springs, etc. then they would not be where they are today. 

Also, bias happens over jealousy, which is a clear factor of all age groups, along with maturity, professionalism, responsibility, and so on...

Killer | Gaminglight Member Since 2016 | Retired PD Colonel l State Major l SPRT Co-Commander l FBI Assistant Director l  UMC Level 4

46 minutes ago, Ender said:

- Support

• Professionalism
  • Maturity
  • Owning Up to decisions
  • Taking Responsibility

- Support

I have had no issues or seen any issues with lack of maturity with any Senior Mods+.

This suggestion seems to be very targeted at specific member of the staff team, members who are actually good staff and do think in a mature way and are able to think like anyone else. 

You call out Masterson, but he would not be a senior admin without having that maturity. And I can tell you that he is waaaaaay more mature than some of the older staff members. 

There shouldn't be an age limit. Everyone should be given a chance at staffing.

9 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

- Support

I have had no issues or seen any issues with lack of maturity with any Senior Mods+.

This suggestion seems to be very targeted at specific member of the staff team, members who are actually good staff and do think in a mature way and are able to think like anyone else. 

You call out Masterson, but he would not be a senior admin without having that maturity. And I can tell you that he is waaaaaay more mature than some of the older staff members. 

There shouldn't be an age limit. Everyone should be given a chance at staffing.

Major -support I have met people who are 12 year olds on this staff team  and they are way way way more mature than some of the people  who is higher rank staff

SWAT PVT Hannah XR39-CPL Hannah King  XC65 - Hannah King 

-Support

If someone is willing to put in the effort to learn the rules, go through the application process, and improve through experience, then they should not be denied the opportunity to be a staff member solely on their age.

Edited by Tai Lopez

Major -Support

• Not needed.
  • Its infrequent a "too harsh" major punishment is given (stat-wise). The last ban reduction was awhile ago.
  • Everyone deserves a shot at staff.
  • As Tai Lopez stated, there are regulations & rules you must follow.
  • If you feel you were given "too-harsh" of a punishment that is what the forums are for. If you don't appeal it that's on you.
  • I don't like how you name-dropped staff members as an argument to support your claim. They shouldn't be targeted for their age. (Make a staff report.)
  • You mentioned you've seen younger staff members "messing around" while administrating. (Make a staff report.)
  • To be honest, it's beneficial to younger minds because it teaches them how to think critically (and apply thinking).
  • Removing "young" staff members (and proving it) would be very difficult. 
  • It seems too much of an overgeneralization about the "younger" staff members.
  • Removing all the "younger" staff members would hurt player counts (and hurt administration as well).
  • Also, think of all the sub-administration groups that benefit the community. (Event Team, Support, Discord Support, Forum Diplomats, etc.) which all require you to be a staff member.
  • Without people (regardless if they are younger) these groups benefit the community & its members. Taking away potential applicants would again, hurt the community.

In conclusion, there should not be an age restriction to become a staff member. SMT constantly monitors staff members for their performance but without a staff report, SMT really can't determine how they are handling their position (aside from sit-counts and ratings). There are some really great staff members that are way younger than I that do a great job! Making an age requirement would be very difficult to enforce and you may be driving away some really great people! If what you say is true about developing minds it just simply isn't enough to convince me to support it. And from what I've seen younger members make most of our team and removing them would be unfair and detrimental to player counts and staff counts. I see this suggestion being made only for convenience because if you really have trouble with a staff member use the appropriate resources at your disposal to get them punished. Making an overall generalization about younger staff members again is unfair.

spacer.png

This is a life lesson many should look into and need to understand. 

Age does not equal maturity, they are completely different. There is a couple of very very young members apart of our staff team who do an amazing job, even better than some older staff members. With that said they are even high ranking staff members. It takes maturity to be a good staff member, with that said I would encourage you to think about this. I can go on and on about this topic but I hope everyone understands.

Gaminglight PoliceRP Retired Superadmin

“Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.”

“There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.”

“You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in."

4 hours ago, Ender said:

- Support

• Professionalism
  • Maturity
  • Owning Up to decisions
  • Taking Responsibility

Oof yeah, I think it just depends on how mature you are. Like I'm a young staff member but I'm confident that I'm mature enough to do the job (Even tho i minge way too much lmfao)

-Support

Edited by Dr. Shaw likes pizza

Oh Shit! A Rat!

4 hours ago, Calamity said:

This is a life lesson many should look into and need to understand. 

Age does not equal maturity, they are completely different. There is a couple of very very young members apart of our staff team who do an amazing job, even better than some older staff members. With that said they are even high ranking staff members. It takes maturity to be a good staff member, with that said I would encourage you to think about this. I can go on and on about this topic but I hope everyone understands.

Age is just a number

- support

When I was around 9 I got to staff on my very first server and I had to lie about my age to get in bc the resctriction was 12+ everyone thought I was cause I acted mature and did a good job. Its unfair to those who want to play

Imis0mI.png
Former S.W.A.T Commander & J.M.T Member

🌟Best driver of the year award🌟

• Manager
10 hours ago, Max Holland said:

I see where you're coming from, but you shouldn't deny someone of an opportunity because of age, sex, race , gender or nationality.  even if there not mature they should still be given the opportunity. If they fail to uphold the responsibilities of staff there will just be punished.

sorry but -support 

I really must agree with this point

-Support

〖  PoliceRP Senior Management Team | Manager

〖  Lead Account Manager  〗

-support 

Many people have matured because of staff masterson for example hes a great addition to the staff team and is very mature I also want to say I dont appreciate you targeting me and other staff members and not trying to be rude but I dont think your in the place to be talking about maturity.

• Like 1

|Ex PD LT|Delta squad RCT| Ex senior moderator| 

-Support 

Alright, 

Once I got my microphone, so many people were shocked at how young I was. So many people told me "I thought you were so much older" and it really just shows. Just cause someone is young dosen't mean that they are immature and or bad at there job. 

Signature.png