Map Change Suggestion V5 - Denied

Polar

People are saying the map is too big, but I'd rather have a bigger map if we wanted to create new rooms or areas, we could do so without worrying about space and stuff.

Former Security Captain | Former RCF Commander | Former Admin of SCP:RP | King Penguin 
200.gif

Now, im spliit here for a bit.

On one side, this is an amazing map, with much more RP potential, but do we want that? We are not exactly a SeriousRP server, we are a bit in the middle. And even then, its size is an issue. This is good when there are 100 players on, but what if there are 30-40? There's just too much space. This would also require a significant overhaul of everyone's SOP's and the MOTD, so eh.

This would make Security a lot more usefull tough, because they wont have to spend all the manpower they have on D-Block they can actualy do security, namely patrolling the LCZ/EZ, while MTF handles HCZ.

I do massively love the surface tough, its great, and i can already think of a ton of Events i can do with it, BUT, it doesn't have space for both CI/E11, it only has 1 base on it, so the other would have to stick to one of the villages or a custom  made base with props.

And, for SCP's, this is a huge+ and - at the same time. Yes, this map has a lot more containment space, which is great! but at the same time, there will be empty rooms a lot because we just cant fill it all in.

Map has mannable Checkpoints, which i like, more to do for Security and we can make it so that ID checks at the Checkpoints are an actual thing. 

Now, the corridors in the  LCZ are rather tight, but is that really a downside? It will enforce more tactical play with players, straightup rushing the enemy will be a death sentence now as you wont be able to dodge as much. In HCZ and EZ the corridors are still sufficiently large tough.

D-Class would have it difficult however, as GenSec can effectively just lock down D-Block with 2-3 people. (But, rules can be made around that, for example only lockdown D-Block with a CI raid in LCZ or smth)

Overall, great for RP, but has its downsides, but still

+Support

From me.

Edited by Falxen

"Without morals, are we truly any better than the things we've set ourselves to contain?"

EX-Site Director   EX-Super Admin | EX-Event Team Lead | Otter Lover Regardless of what SMT Says, not a furry. R&D Senior Inspector

1 hour ago, Polar said:

There is a bunker for CI with the E11 area outside the main base.

Yea, but then E-11 isn't really off site anymore, they would have to be permenantly posted on site.

"Without morals, are we truly any better than the things we've set ourselves to contain?"

EX-Site Director   EX-Super Admin | EX-Event Team Lead | Otter Lover Regardless of what SMT Says, not a furry. R&D Senior Inspector

+Support

I played this map before and I absolutely loved it. It's a huge upgrade from Site 05 in many areas mentioned in other replies. This map is immersive and actually feels like the SCP foundation, it doesn't feel like Attack & Defense/TDM between CI & MTF and Gensec & D-Class.

The only problem is D-Block as the D-Class playstyle changes A LOT. D-Class are one of the main parts of this server and a lot of people play simply just to riot. That is the main difference between GL and other SCPRP servers. If D-Block gets something interesting for D-class this would be an amazing change.

Changing maps and adapting will be really hard but could be very worth it, on the other side it could slightly damage the server population due to D-Class. I'd like to change to this map for a bit to see if it would work.

Edited by steppy

9 hours ago, Gunther said:

People are saying the map is too big, but I'd rather have a bigger map if we wanted to create new rooms or areas, we could do so without worrying about space and stuff.

More room for more branches

Retired Imperial RP Super Admin and Grand General

nlr.gif.c10c8915894d33d93a43f1f20d667ae4.gif

+Support.

SMT please consider this as a need. Not a request.

this can give a lot space for event team to do a lot more then what they’re doing now.

this can give more chance of roleplay and make it seem, hey we have space, we can do this now.

this can help make everything no so damn crowded.

this can help a lot of things. 
yeah map changes do a lot damage, but fuck it. We still going to be #1 no matter what.

Yuh ?imm@ Thash Dat B¡tch?❤️!!*^€{

16 minutes ago, R̦̺̐ͫő̼̺͊c̘k̄ said:

+/- support. Ive seen the map and love it but it may be a bit too big plus nowhere on surface for e11 and ci

E11 does have multiple places to guard and CI has the abandoned bunker

lol, lmao even

+Support

• The way our SCPS are organized could really use the overhaul this map could offer
  • Any emergent issues from playing on the map could be handled with rules changes & adaptations, same as we always have
  • I think our community and playercount is what draws in more players; I don't think we need to rely on having a 'rarer' map to set us apart from other SCPRP servers. A map change may not necessarily be detrimental to our playerbase
  • If the new map is too big, we could block off some areas and use them exclusively for staff sits or events or something

Maybe we could try it out for a month or something. with the clause that it'll be swapped back if things don't seem to be going well? There's tons of ways we could work with this i'm sure.

O5-9: "Misfortune"  A.K.A.  "Mr. Unlucky"

"Accidents Happen-- Mostly to me!"

spacer.png

Let me list off the issues I have with this map after taking a good look at everything it has to offer.

Firstly, issues that could be fixed by staff but would require a fair amount of time and effort:

1. The map ambiance leads me to believe that this is a breach style map, which is obliviously not what we are. I know this can be turned off by using stopsound in the console, but to my understanding there is no way for the server to do this, which means that each individual person would have to type stopsound into their console when they load in.

2. Were we to switch to this map, it would require probably a weeks worth of work from the staff team to get decals, keypads, spawns, and other such stuff before the server could even be opened, which would be detrimental to the server as a whole because that is a weeks worth of new players completely lost.

3. The fog on surface is annoying, making it so I can't see more than 20 feet in front of me would get annoying extremely fast. Though this is just me and this could probably be changed. 

4. I feel like the vents can be easily abused, and would require a constant guard force in order for CI to not use them.

Finally, issues that I belie can not be fixed or are inherit within the map itself.

1. D-Block would be a complete disaster, It would be almost physically impossible for D-Class to gain enough people to overpower Gensec. I know you had mentioned that D-Class could do some RP to like take over the cafeteria or something, but the fact of the matter is that the only pseudo rp that D-Class do is because of an event where they get to kill something. 99% of the time, D-Class do not do a lot in terms of rp to begin with, much less to the degree of taking over a cafeteria and rping tool use.

2. The map is by far way to big. For this map to work for us, we would need our lowest player count to be around 50-60, which is highly unlikely, at least right now.

3. I feel that having HCZ being the zone furthest from EZ is a bad choice, because that means it would take more time for MTF to get there to recontain any escaped SCPs. In addition, CI raids would be absolutely screwed over. Think about it, CI would have to go through EZ and LCZ just even get to HCZ, then grab whatever SCPs they want, go all the way back through the facility. While this in itself doesn't sound all that bad, keep in mind that CI would be fighting off MTF and any patrolling Gensec THIS ENTIRE TIME! For a successful raid to take place, either MTF and Gensec would have to be completely and utterly brain dead and miss every single one of their shots while standing completely still, or CI would have to have something like 30 or more players just to get to HCZ in the first place, let alone make it all the way back!

4. Any D-Class breaches would take years to quell, since the map is so large that you would have to scour something akin to the size of a small state to find everyone.

5. Having a lot of SCPs does not mean that all of those SCPs will get used. SCPs based more on roleplay or those that are weaker in combat will get used less than those who's singular purpose is to kill as many people as possible.

In Conclusion

I have to give this suggestion a big -support because of the reasons listed above. However, do not mistake this as a -support for changing the map. I am fully behind the idea of changing the map, but I just don't feel like this is the one we should change it too. The changes that the server would go through, in my opinion, would bring more detriment to the server than we would gain in benefits.

4 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

1. The map ambiance leads me to believe that this is a breach style map, which is obliviously not what we are. I know this can be turned off by using stopsound in the console, but to my understanding there is no way for the server to do this, which means that each individual person would have to type stopsound into their console when they load in.

This is infact an issue to some, personally I feel as if the map would feel more like an in-lore map with odd sounds and other things.

6 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

2. Were we to switch to this map, it would require probably a weeks worth of work from the staff team to get decals, keypads, spawns, and other such stuff before the server could even be opened, which would be detrimental to the server as a whole because that is a weeks worth of new players completely lost.

Im not staff, or a coding master for that matter, but as far as I know we have a test server that could be used to setup the map without an issue. I dont know if this is a thing, but maybe a preset system is possible (probably not)? So the test server could be built and implemented into the current server.

11 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

3. The fog on surface is annoying, making it so I can't see more than 20 feet in front of me would get annoying extremely fast. Though this is just me and this could probably be changed. 

The fog is snow (I think) and surface would mostly be limited to the outpost area.

14 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

4. I feel like the vents can be easily abused, and would require a constant guard force in order for CI to not use them.

Vents can be entered and exited through, I think the best idea for CI would be a cool-down and the Foundation wouldn't know about them.

15 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

1. D-Block would be a complete disaster, It would be almost physically impossible for D-Class to gain enough people to overpower Gensec. I know you had mentioned that D-Class could do some RP to like take over the cafeteria or something, but the fact of the matter is that the only pseudo rp that D-Class do is because of an event where they get to kill something. 99% of the time, D-Class do not do a lot in terms of rp to begin with, much less to the degree of taking over a cafeteria and rping tool use.

Definitely the biggest issue with the map, however a solution that could be used is straight up removing the airlock doors to mimic our current way of D-Block at the moment.

18 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

2. The map is by far way to big. For this map to work for us, we would need our lowest player count to be around 50-60, which is highly unlikely, at least right now.

Currently as I make this post (Monday 3:00) there are 70 people on the server which usually crescendos up until about 10:00. While server population at certain times may be an issue, when most people would even play this works (to me).

10 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

3. I feel that having HCZ being the zone furthest from EZ is a bad choice, because that means it would take more time for MTF to get there to recontain any escaped SCPs. In addition, CI raids would be absolutely screwed over. Think about it, CI would have to go through EZ and LCZ just even get to HCZ, then grab whatever SCPs they want, go all the way back through the facility. While this in itself doesn't sound all that bad, keep in mind that CI would be fighting off MTF and any patrolling Gensec THIS ENTIRE TIME! For a successful raid to take place, either MTF and Gensec would have to be completely and utterly brain dead and miss every single one of their shots while standing completely still, or CI would have to have something like 30 or more players just to get to HCZ in the first place, let alone make it all the way back!

This would make sense by basic logic and architecture, the time for MTF to make it would be realistic and ability to work together to sweep. CI have vents that access HCZ and LCZ (Ill get to that).

12 minutes ago, bdogz1 said:

4. Any D-Class breaches would take years to quell, since the map is so large that you would have to scour something akin to the size of a small state to find everyone.

D-Class breaches should be less irritating with GENSEC to be able to use manpower to find them, and with one exit for D-Class it would be well guarded.

Retired E11 Commander Polar

Doctor L

1 hour ago, CanOBeanz said:

+Support

• The way our SCPS are organized could really use the overhaul this map could offer
  • Any emergent issues from playing on the map could be handled with rules changes & adaptations, same as we always have
  • I think our community and playercount is what draws in more players; I don't think we need to rely on having a 'rarer' map to set us apart from other SCPRP servers. A map change may not necessarily be detrimental to our playerbase
  • If the new map is too big, we could block off some areas and use them exclusively for staff sits or events or something

Maybe we could try it out for a month or something. with the clause that it'll be swapped back if things don't seem to be going well? There's tons of ways we could work with this i'm sure.

+Support

My first ever post on this forum,

After looking at the map i think its quite fitting for the server and of course will require some effort to make it 100% usable for the roleplay of gaminglight but i honestly think it will be worth it. 

I really hope this suggestion isnt turned down for a reason such as " Why bother changing the map " and hope that it gets a good test run to see if it would work well :).

+Support

The current map, Site 05, is starting to be bland and boring. If left alone, many members could get bored  and resign.

This map, Site 65, may have its problems, but I found it overall a great to change to.

Edited by A Fallout Marine
  • Like 1

Ex- Security 1LT / Ex- Technical Lead Engineer