SCP-173

Mervin

1 hour ago, Mervin said:

Wtf how can someone copy right a player model? 

The artist of the model/statue itself (Izumi Kato) copyrighted it, which he can do because well, he made it.

The artist explicitly forbids using the model for-profit so Gaminglight can get into legal troubles if they use it.

Unrelated to copyright but I also heard it was removed because the mechanics were extremely glitchy.

Edited by TahtsK9
clarification
  • Gaminglight Love 1

Das

Retired E11 HCM CPT 

7 minutes ago, TahtsK9 said:

The artist of the model/statue itself (Izumi Kato) copyrighted it, which he can do because well, he made it.

The artist explicitly forbids using the model for-profit so Gaminglight can get into legal troubles if they use it.

Unrelated to copyright but I also heard it was removed because the mechanics were extremely glitchy.

Ahhhhh I gotcha thanks for explaining 😊

~Mervin

SCP as a whole has long been a mess when it comes to copyright, though 173 is the worst of the lot since it's the only one with an actual 'canon' appearance and said model being a sculpture (I think) made by an actual person not related to the SCP foundation in any way.

Games like Secret Laboratory or Containment breach only get away with it because they're free, but Gaminglight makes a profit, and if 173's model is a part of that, then that opens up an entire bag of worms with copyright. I'm sure if someone can find a logical model that doesn't fall under copyright, we may yet see a return.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 3:39 PM, TahtsK9 said:

Late reply but I was around for both 173 SWEPs, both were literal shit. One made it 173 could never move even with 1 person looking at them because of the god awful blinking mechanic and the other one has no way to prevent 173 from moving when looked at so people would just move whenever.

Also it let you teleport forward a small distance which people exploited to glitch out of the closed CC door.

• Like 1

gog

I don't ever seeing it come back, I wasn't around when he was here but I still know enough about this situation to form this opinion on it.

I hear a lot of mixed feelings about our old Peanut, but the copyright on him wasn't because it existed in our server (or it could've been but just hear me out), the reason why is because in some way, shape or form, you had to pay money to be him, I don't know necessarily if he was a Bronze - Platinum job but the mere fact that you can buy levels would've prevented him from being in the game even if he wasn't a VIP job. If you could buy something to get him, the copyright stands. 

Because of what is previously stated, if you were to give this Semi- Broken SCP to any average player who just stumbled into the server, it would cause WAY to many issues to be worth it anyway, Glitches/Bugs, Mass RDM, FailRP, etc. This character could've been massively exploited, so I believe that it really wasn't solely because somebody likes money and wanted to take him out. Is that Administration already was leaning on the side of letting him go anyway. 

REMINDER: None of this is pure factual information, I gathered some info and formed an opinion on it and decided to share it here.

Anyway, I'd love to see him back too, as I never really saw him to begin with. But it just seems impossible.

Edited by Glados
Gramatical Issues

Founder of Aperture Science | Retired Head of Research | Retired Event Team Leader | Current Metal Head
Secure. Contain. Protect.

I would always love something to spice up the server, however I don't think 173 will deliver that unless staff makes some big changes to 173's overall dynamic. I fully support the introduction of new SCPs to the server and wish to see more changes in the future, but for now 173 and its legacy should be left in the past.

• Bread locked this topic