SCP 999 - Matter States: I

[DEFN] Jake Puffin

Clearance Level: 2

List of Personnel involved in testing: N/A (Unless you include me)  

Level D personnel involved: None

SCP: 999

Errors and/or safety hazards: None

Question: When we examine the molecules of SCP-999's gelatin in different states, does its molecular structure relate to that of existing elements or compounds. (Such as H20, C6H12O6, etc.)

Background Research: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-999

Hypothesis: The molecules will most likely be similar in structure to water molecules. Close and compact when frozen. Scattered and shifted when evaporated. 

Analysis and Conclusion:
Analysis:
After taking three sets of three samples of SCP-999's gelatin, one set of gelatin was set aside as a control. The second and third sets are left where they are.
First, I got the volume of the liquids in each tube, which measures out to 22 mL per square inch. 
Using standard test tubes filled with water (which matches the same volume as the gelatin).

Water freezes at 32*F, while it also boils at 212*F, therefore, using these numbers as my basis for transforming SCP-999 gelatin into different forms.
Phase One: (Acquiring a Boiling Point)
Measuring the boiling point, the water evaporated and condensation formed inside the test tube between 210-212*F.
Measuring the boiling point of SCP-999's gelatin, the liquid began to evaporate at around 170*F. However, strangely, the liquid molecules attempted to bond and stay together as if not to break apart from one another.
After reaching temperatures of 378-381*F, the molecules scattered and evaporated instantaneously, as well as the bonds between the molecules.

Phase Two: (Acquiring a Freezing Point)
Measuring the freezing point, the water froze and its molecules compacted at around 32-30*F.
Measuring the freezing point of SCP-999's gelatin, the liquid began to compress and compact, however, similar to the boiling point test, the molecules attempted to move rapidly in order to create high amounts of friction to stop the freezing process. Different attempts with liquid nitrogen showed that the molecules of the gelatin were able to replace themselves so quickly that no substance we had on hands at the time could freeze it.

Do your results align with your hypothesis?:
In conclusion, the tests showed very different outcomes then what I had expected at the time. 
Not only did the molecular bonds not compact in the freezing point test, but they were also able to keep the gelatin stable and warm. 
This could show how SCP-999 may be able to stay stable with its body at times, being able to constantly supply itself with electrons, protons, and neutrons which form into molecules, even when the gelatin is detached from the SCP's body. 

image.png.ac794ec84dbe2b5d813d19dd3f9eb624.png
Visual Reference: Chart (left) simply shows the testing levels for our comparable compound (H20). 

Edited by [DEFN] Jake Puffin
  • Gaminglight Love 1

US Army Corporal Ex-Army Vice Commander US Drill Instructor Trainee Dedicated Marksmen
Ex-Seventh Sister Ex-Naval Commander & Chief Aviation Officer Ninth Sister |
Dimma's Vibe Checker 

Score: 100/100

Grade: Quality

Lore: 20/20

Obviously, none of this info was ever tested in the file, so it's kinda hard to go against it.

Creativity: 20/20

Most people generally try to do "what happens when you injest the goo" or "what happens when you incinerate it", but this goes above and beyond.

Presentation: 20//20

Looks presentable, and I like how the results are bolded.

Writing: 40/40

This is easily the best part of the log. It feels like a peer-reviewed scientific journal. It even uses a simplifed version of the scientific method! This is the closest to a proper research paper I've seen a test log be in a loooong time. Props to you. 

Professional minge, PhD in shitposting. Research Manager,  Hammer Down Private. Also known as Gutsy.