Rolplay With Purpose

Divide

It has recently come to my attention that the RP being done on the server is lacking in substance and is, in my opinion, becoming bland. In the hopes of increasing the fun that can be had in events, people need to take into account the whole player base rather than themselves. When a GM places a roadblock in an event it is their way of leading the event in a certain direction. This can be critical for the sake of the event and making it last longer. Instead of single-handedly RPing your way with /roll around every roadblock (obviously some require you to do so), make sure that you are allowing the whole server to become involved in the RP.

Some examples are:

• Slicing through shields without clearing the current area.
    • Shields are often set up to give the GM time to set up the next part. When you rush ahead, it decreases the quality of the event for everybody. 
  • Using abilities you have not learned 
    • If a computer has a virus and you are a medic, you should not be able to disable the virus as you are not trained in fixing computers
  • Outrageous feats with the force 
    • This one is self-explanatory. If it has not been done by someone of similar power to you in Lore, then how would you be able to.
  • continuing to roll until you get a 50 or above  
    • This is just about the blandest RPing ever.
    • To continue on with the discussion, if you roll below a 50 on something, see if there is another way you can achieve what you are trying to do rather than saying "/me tries again". This will increase the depth of RP and enable events and passive RP to strive.

As a server, I know that our RP can always get better. It just takes the mutual understanding of all of its members to not overstep their boundaries, and allow others to have a shot at RPing. 

• Like 1
  • Gaminglight Love 1

Gaminglights Original Rapper

1845706791_Divide-05(1).jpg.b76c64c6377ace44ec776155ae886529.jpg

I agree with this wholeheartedly, It revolves around Mary Sueing your character and power gaming to an extent. A good example is setting limitations to yourself. Not everyone is a Master Hacker or a Solo Bulwark.

But, I think Game Masters should be held to the same standards, there's been to many events that involve a GM using NPC Spawners and having them spawn underneath the Map, creating a kill zone that is unable to be transversed and stunts the effort for people to push through it because they find it unfair. Along with giving NPC's an ungodly amount of HP. I think it's best to have more NPCs than fewer with Godlike HP. It awards a group that work together far greater than just spending all your cells on 1 NPC with a shit ton of HP, more so that not everyone's weapon is balanced yet.

But as a whole, I agree that Roleplay needs to be fixed in a sense. I suggest more Rules in place to help, like Powergaming, Roll Cooldowns, etc.

• Like 1

[[:: REDACTED Hunter Reaper OM6 // Status_Online ::]]

Confirmed Epsilon-11 Special Forces Kills: 4 // Still waiting for a HaloRP Server.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, It revolves around Mary Sueing your character and power gaming to an extent. A good example is setting limitations to yourself. Not everyone is a Master Hacker or a Solo Bulwark.

But, I think Game Masters should be held to the same standards, there's been to many events that involve a GM using NPC Spawners and having them spawn underneath the Map, creating a kill zone that is unable to be transversed and stunts the effort for people to push through it because they find it unfair. Along with giving NPC's an ungodly amount of HP. I think it's best to have more NPCs than fewer with Godlike HP. It awards a group that work together far greater than just spending all your cells on 1 NPC with a shit ton of HP, more so that not everyone's weapon is balanced yet.

But as a whole, I agree that Roleplay needs to be fixed in a sense. I suggest more Rules in place to help, like Powergaming, Roll Cooldowns, etc.

Thank you for your input!

I agree with your statement about GMs. We as a GM team need to work together to provide the optimal RP conditions. I'd recommend two GMs per large event minimum to ensure that this standard is met. 

• Manager
14 hours ago, Kratos™ said:

It is not in any Gamemaster's control whether the NPCs spawn under the map - it happens when the platform tool isn't 100% compliant with the current map's contruction. If one realised this, they would see and understand why it doesn't happen on certain maps. The problem has been around since the tool was released. 

With the various Health for NPCs, there can be many reasons behind it. The main one is due to the simple fact, more NPCs = More Server lag - and when that happens the compliaint amount is a lot more. Furthermore, some NPCs will be gifted more health than the average due to distracting and slowing down battlions like Inquisitors + Starfighters - some NPCs may even be intended as 'heavys' and/or 'bosses'. In addition, any event with NPCs having low health will result in a short one, then we get more complaining that 'the event was too short' - not every map is suited for huge scale assualts, so we improvise and create solutions (one being to incease health to slow them down and create an ending feeling of accomplishment/satisfaction). In connection with what you said regarding teamwork, NPCs with higher HP encourages that - it pushes them even more to work together and coordinate efficiently (just as if you were playing a round of Black ops Zombies and the higher the round = increasing health - thus increasing satisfaction if completed successfully).

As any Gamemaster knows, there will always be a compliant with varying topics. Furthermore, any experienced Gamemaster will agree and understand the way as how we run things currently. The little things you complain about is a compilation of solutions from a lot larger, previous, complaints.

28 minutes ago, Beckett said:

It is not in any Gamemaster's control whether the NPCs spawn under the map - it happens when the platform tool isn't 100% compliant with the current map's contruction. If one realised this, they would see and understand why it doesn't happen on certain maps. The problem has been around since the tool was released. 

With the various Health for NPCs, there can be many reasons behind it. The main one is due to the simple fact, more NPCs = More Server lag - and when that happens the compliaint amount is a lot more. Furthermore, some NPCs will be gifted more health than the average due to distracting and slowing down battlions like Inquisitors + Starfighters - some NPCs may even be intended as 'heavys' and/or 'bosses'. In addition, any event with NPCs having low health will result in a short one, then we get more complaining that 'the event was too short' - not every map is suited for huge scale assualts, so we improvise and create solutions (one being to incease health to slow them down and create an ending feeling of accomplishment/satisfaction). In connection with what you said regarding teamwork, NPCs with higher HP encourages that - it pushes them even more to work together and coordinate efficiently (just as if you were playing a round of Black ops Zombies and the higher the round = increasing health - thus increasing satisfaction if completed successfully).

As any Gamemaster knows, there will always be a compliant with varying topics. Furthermore, any experienced Gamemaster will agree and understand the way as how we run things currently. The little things you complain about is a compilation of solutions from a lot larger, previous, complaints.

Howdy, Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain. I admit, I did not know that about the NPC Spawner, My Apologies. Is there a solution to the Tool being worked on? Or possibly another tool? I could suggest that how Divide said, having 2 GM's on an event could be useful, One running it, the other working behind the scenes to stop the NPCs and such.

[[:: REDACTED Hunter Reaper OM6 // Status_Online ::]]

Confirmed Epsilon-11 Special Forces Kills: 4 // Still waiting for a HaloRP Server.

6 minutes ago, Kratos™ said:

Howdy, Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain. I admit, I did not know that about the NPC Spawner, My Apologies. Is there a solution to the Tool being worked on? Or possibly another tool? I could suggest that how Divide said, having 2 GM's on an event could be useful, One running it, the other working behind the scenes to stop the NPCs and such.

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent this because the spawn radius does not care about whether or not the NPCs spawn in the ground or a wall. 

• Bread locked this topic