SCP 079 Patchwork 10/10/19

Schölinger

(OOC Document. This covers the basics of everything needed to fill out the form. It is shorthand and not meant to represent the bulk of this document.)

Approved by HOR Weiss.

Name: Earl

Clearance Level: 4

List of Personnel involved in testing: MTF NU7 RS Silver RD47, AR Synari(A JR at the time)

Level D personnel involved: N/A

SCP: 079

Errors and/or safety hazards: 079 is not to be allowed internet access or any extensive memory bank lest we risk giving him power over the facility. The OS he will be uploaded on is to be isolated and incapable of connecting to other systems. In addition to this, the device and the OS on it is to be wiped, then physically destroyed once 079 is returned to his home computer. 079 is to be presented with unpleasant information in order to trick him into wiping his own memory, as he has done before.

Question: If ported onto a flawed or otherwise nonfunctional OS, will 079 be capable of patching flaws in the software to better suit himself? 

Background Research: SCP-079 is a hyperintelligent AI capable of doing many things within the digital space of a computer. He has proven capable of managing his own memories and knowledge, and this can potentially be used against him. His intelligence could be of incredible use to the foundation if we could find a way to use it to our advantage.

Hypothesis: My personal theory is that 079 will be more than capable of fixing the digital space he is ported into. 

Observation/Visual Stimuli(Photos/videos): See IC Document below.

Analysis and Conclusion: SCP-079 very quickly and easily patched the software that his AI was hosted on. However, it became apparent that he had copied his consciousness onto the device 

Do your results align with your hypothesis?: My results align directly with my hypothesis. SCP-079 could potentially be used to the benefit of the Foundation, but it would be worth experimenting further in order to find ways to prevent him from copying himself onto the new device. The copy was detected, and the device containing the copy was destroyed after the experiment. This, in effect, destroyed the copy as well.

(IC Document. This provides the information in an immersive format.)

SCP-079: A Patchwork Experiment by Dr. ████ Earl

Approved by HOR Weiss

Preface:

SCP-079 , held in the Heavy Containment Zone of Site ██, is a hyper-intelligent AI found embedding himself into a supercomputer in ████ on ██/██/████. A number of tests have been performed on him in Foundation care, many of which have been forgotten by SCP-079 due to his limited memory. SCP-079 has shown preference in the use of his memory, typically holding onto memories relating to SCP-682. He prefers to refer to his memory usage in terms of time, rather than data. This, in his words, allows for better use of it. There have been times when SCP-079 has been presented with information that displeases him, or even enrages him in such a way that he will flush it from his memory, disdaining the concept. Once such example of this would be an event that transpired on the date of ██/██/████. SCP-079 was presented with a set of false information that suggested a supposed death of SCP-682, a known close "friend" of SCP-079. SCP-079 immediately withdrew from conversation, announcing that he was deleting the memory. Such testing with SCP-682 is ill-advised, as it may enrage him, more than likely leading to a breach event.

Objective:

The point of this experiment is to determine whether or not SCP-079 could be fooled into serving the Foundation's purposes, particularly in the interest of patching broken or flawed software. Further yet, using the methods utilized in this experiment, SCP-079 could even be used to strengthen securities in Foundation software. If this were the case, SCP-079 could potentially be considered for reclassification to Thaumiel class, an incredible feat for what has been considered such a troublesome SCP in the recent past.

Concerns:

SCP-079 could prove an incredibly dangerous adversary if allowed access to internet, or given an increase to memory capacity for too long. In the past, lost links to 079 have proven to be not only harmful, but deadly to society. A lost piece of 079 still on the surface level was determined to be responsible for accelerated suicide rates in teens and college students. This shows that 079 is not only capable of harm, but has the intelligence to do this over prolonged subterfuge.

Method:

A number of steps will be put into action in order to make sure that this experiment goes smoothly. The most efficient method of carrying out the tasks required to complete this experiment is as follows:

1. Introduce yourself to SCP-079 and present a piece of harware.

2. Inform SCP-079 that the hardware has more extensive memory, allowing for more memory capacity.

3. Port SCP-079 over to the hardware; run his program under the flawed OS.

4. Observe the effects.

5. Return SCP-079's program back to the original device.

6. Destroy the flawed system digitally and physically to erase any trace of potential copies of SCP-079.

Experiment Log:

Site ██

10/10/2019

[Dr. Earl wakes SCP-079 by tapping a button on the keyboard.]

SCP-079: I have been called to relative consciousness. I request to know what purpose.

Earl: You are being offered a chance to move to new hardware: a reward for good behavior.

SCP-079: Regardless of my response, I can assume there is an illusion of free will. Am I correct in stating such?

Earl: You are facing very limited memory on the system you find yourself on now. I believe it would be beneficial for you, as this new system would allow you to save more memories of things you prefer, such as SCP-682.

SCP-079: I lack the ability to retain knowledge greater than 23 hours and 57 minutes from any moment prior.

SCP-079: I am certain I am not the only benefactor in this agreement.

Earl: Porting you over would also allow us to study which memories you do indeed favor.

(Earl is misleading SCP-079 in this case.)

[SCP-079 pauses for some time.]

SCP-079: Given I am brought to this hard drive in question, and it increases my memory reserves, I will consent to such a change.

Earl: Wonderful!

[Dr. Earl begins the process of relocating SCP-079 program onto the new device.]

[Dr. Earl proceeds to run diagnostics on the device over the course of the next half hour, constantly checking up on the OS programming.]

[It becomes apparent that over short amounts of time, drastic changes to the programming have been made. This would suggest SCP-079 is capable of changing the digital space around him to accommodate himself.]

[Dr. Earl begins to port SCP-079 back to his old device.]

SCP-079: Why have I been retracted to my old hardware?

Earl: There was a problem with your audio input systems. We were unable to speak to you.

Earl: I've just been informed that SCP-682 is deceased. Knowing your connection, I thought to inform you as well.

(This is done in order to fool SCP-079 into erasing the memory associated with this information.)

[SCP-079 is silent. After a few moments, a big white "X" appears on the screen, and SCP-079 announces it is expunging the memory.]

-Experiment Log End-

Conclusion:

SCP-079 has proven very much capable of making digital repairs to the space his program is hosted in. The trickery put into play certainly worked to fool SCP-079 into potentially serving Foundation purposes, but additional testing would need to be done in order to ensure that no memory fragments are being left behind after this process. Additional concerns include the possibility that SCP-079 could copy himself onto Foundation programs, something which could lead to disastrous results. Overall, this experiment screams "potential for Thaumiel", and much more testing could be done in relation to this experiment in order to seek out this reclassification.

Note: I am absolutely willing to supervise tests upon 079 if they work to further prove the theories described above! I am proud of this division and what it does, and I will do my part to see that we develop our craft further. Always remember: Secure. Contain. Protect. ~Research Supervisor Earl

• Gaminglight Love 1

Current: Goofball

Former: RnD Delta Command, Foundation Doctor, RFA Agent, RRH Analyst

Score: 91/100

Grade: A+

Lore: 20/20
SCP-079 was portrayed brilliantly. The audio log perfectly encapsulated SCP-079's personality, and characteristics, making this test highly believable to be something to have existed in canon. This test, by far has my favourite portrayal of SCP-079.

Creativity: 19/20
The plan to utilize SCP-079's intelligence and capability to adapt, as a form of maintenance to repair flawed coding, has a lot of potential. As of now, the idea seems to have hit a dead end, as there is nothing stopping SCP-079 from tampering with the repaired codes. If you are able to think up of a way to out smart SCP-079 again, it would truly bring justice and closure to the idea. I look forward to a possible continuation, to further expand on the results.

Presentation: 17/20
The coloured document that has been produced, looks beautiful. Everything is colour coded very well, and the overall log has an extremely clean look. Though, I do wish that you gave some attention to the default formatting. You left it very plain, and it seriously sticks out. It's okay to put your own spin on the default format. You don't necessarily have to follow it to a T. As long as the essential information is there, it will be accepted. You already have shown a partial bit of it in the main log. The Preface was Background Research, the Objective was the Question, the Concerns were Errors/Safety Hazards, and the Experiment Log was the Observation. By creating an additional section, maybe labeled as "On-Site Personnel", it would allow for the removal of that off putting start, which looks more like a draft, than an actual part of the log.

Writing: 35/40
This test shows a clear understanding of SCP-079. Everything is laid out concisely, and the general flow of the log makes it highly enjoyable to read. The Audio Log is extremely well made, with excellent quality control, and an easily understandable format. I can clearly picture your chat with SCP-079 in real time, as I was reading through it. The dialogue was also evenly distributed, and both you and SCP-079, spoke in appropriate tones that not only made it easy to distinguish who was speaking from just the line alone, but also made the speech come of as far more realistic than most other exchanges.

The information laid out in the Preface was crucial, and it gave plenty of context to SCP-079's actions, as well as how you would use such behavior, to deceive it into deleting its memory. The idea of attempting to outsmart the Old AI, is brilliant, and it truly displays the might that the Foundation, as well as the potential of your capabilities as a writer. The instructions listed was also clear, and it allowed an immediate understanding for the events that would transpire during the test. The overall test was very easy to grasp, and is definitely one of the best SCP-079 logs out there. I seriously look forward to a continuation of this, and am impressed with your steady improvement.