AWG

Know your planes!

Posted (edited)

gm_construct0001.thumb.jpg.c28aadd1893df278b2565971a6294b55.jpg

With many people complaining about the aircraft, or not understanding who is who, I thought I should make a guide to help.
Things to know
Due to the low tickrate speed is capped at around 180-190 km/h.
Because of the speed cap the planes perform much different than they would in singleplayer.
As a result some planes get an advantage (Me 262), and others suffer (Props).

All planes but the Me 262 have skins.

Tips & Tricks for  the different aircraft
P-47D
-The biggest advantage the P-47D has is it’s 10 rockets.
-With a large radius and doing 194 damage, anyone caught too close will be killed.
-Has a large body, making it easier to hit.
-The largest problem of the P-47D is it’s slow turning radius. More maneuverable aircraft will be able to out-turn it in a dog fight. If a more maneuverable aircraft is on your tail then the best option is to gain altitude.
-When compared to the Bf-109 the P-47D has a much stronger engine, and as a result can climb higher without stalling. While you shouldn’t go straight up, your best option is to turn in a circle while going upward, while the Bf-109 will likely stall trying to chase you.
-If facing the Me 262 then you can also gain altitude, but in a different way. You’ll need to go straight up this time in order to force the Me 262 to overshoot. Since the jet does not lose speed when going upward, it will have to turn away or be forced to overshoot, giving the defender a chance to escape.
-Also note that the P-47D has a short gun convergence range, meaning you’ll need to get closer to targets than you would normally have to.

P-51B
-The B variant of the P-51 has only 4 guns, compared to the P-51Ds 6.
-Both variants perform the same, in all regards except damage.
-An advantage the P-51 has over all the other aircraft is it’s strong elevator, making hammerhead and other maneuvers easier.
-Overall the P-51 is maneuverable, has a strong engine, and is easy to control. Because of the strong engine the P-51 losses much less speed when turning compared to other Allied fighters.
-It is the best Allied air-to-air fighter due to its strength.
-While the P-51 may face some troubles with the Me 262 if it climbs high, it should still be able to come out on top due to its higher maneuverability.
-Against the Bf-109 the P-51 should win almost every time if flown well.

Spitfire
-The worst of all the aircraft, suffering from low damage and low speed.
-When flying the Spitfire you should do your best to maintain speed while using its above average maneuverability to out turn slower fighters.
-But even with it’s maneuverability, the Spitfire struggles when trying to climb or turn sharply.
-When facing the Me 262 the Spitfire has practically no chance.
-When facing the Bf-109 the Spitfire may be able to fight on an even level due to having similar maneuverability, but overtime will lose speed due to its weak engine.

Bf-109
-The basic fighter of the Luftwaffe, performs similar to the Spitfire but slightly better.
-Has both machine guns and cannons, increasing the DPS to 243 (Use both primary and secondary click to shoot both at the same time).
-When fighting the P-47D the Bf-109 can easily out-turn it.
-When fighting the P-51B the Bf-109 is at a disadvantage, but with good maneuvers can still win.
-Against the Spitfire the Bf-109 does have an advantage as long as it plays safe.

Me 262
-Undeniable best aircraft on the server.
-Has jet engines, giving it the ability to climb without losing speed.
-In addition to a smaller turn radius than the P-47D, and strong armament, the Me 262 outclasses all other aircraft.

Conclusion
-Sorry brits but the Spitfire is the worst aircraft, and also the only British lfs aircraft currently on the workshop.
-While there is no Allied counterpart to the Me 262, the P-51B does have the best fighting chance against it.

-One thing to note is that the Me 262 only performs so well when compared to other aircraft because of the slow tickrate.
-The Me 262 can do whatever it wants without losing any speed, while other aircraft will suffer when turning or gaining altitude.
-If the tickrate were to be increased, other aircraft would have the ability to use energy to their advantage, and the Me 262 would struggle to not overshoot everything it sees.

-Overall the two sides are relatively balanced (excluding the British). The Allies have rockets, while the Germans have jets.

-If you are still struggling when dogfighting I suggest going into singleplayer to practice on AI. You can spawn AI planes through the LFS AI spawner, and choose between various settings.

Full list of LFS stats for anyone who’s curious: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B8xDOUu_f4k_LRRZSO0TUrUl0uDE6-cFSm9PdfT-POY/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for taking the time to read this guide
-Awg

Edited by AWG

This looks amazing Awg.  Thanks for putting this together!

R&U! This looks amazing! Thank you so much 

Posted (edited)

Hey little Info 

spitfire should be Better than the 109

in 1944 

better speed

guns

agility

fuel

etc

spitfire was a beast late war

the 1944 standard had 2x 20mm

and 4x 50 cal

Edited by CrimzonEmpire

10 hours ago, -Nicky- said:

Please give British a different plane...

On 5/22/2019 at 7:29 PM, AWG said:

-Sorry brits but the Spitfire is the worst aircraft, and also the only British lfs aircraft currently on the workshop.

..... Did you even read this

53 minutes ago, -Nicky- said:

Lmao but it has a french flag on it

Spitfire has the english roundel on it....

3 hours ago, -Nicky- said:

What is that on the tail?

During WWI the British used to have the Union Jack on the tail, but at high speeds many soldiers though it looked like the Iron Cross. So they decided to paint an inverse French flag on the back so ground troops could easily spot friendlies. If you look on French planes then the flag is facing the opposite direction.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:50 PM, AWG said:

During WWI the British used to have the Union Jack on the tail, but at high speeds many soldiers though it looked like the Iron Cross. So they decided to paint an inverse French flag on the back so ground troops could easily spot friendlies. If you look on French planes then the flag is facing the opposite direction.

You are a smart person Awg!